Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

goblinusMaximus t1_jaew1tq wrote

I understand how the novelty could appeal, but personally I'm happier reading accounts of visitors and escapees. Dear Leader was a hell of a trip.

NipNips2018 t1_jaeyh7j wrote

Is this a book or documentary?

Lifted2222 t1_jaeyvb5 wrote

Nothing to Envy is the best book I've read about defectors. It's a bit outdated, though

goblinusMaximus t1_jaf2jf4 wrote

It's a book. Autobiography of what amounted to a court poet who escaped.

Novae224 t1_jaevunm wrote

Good luck! Nobody would ever hear from them again probably

olde_greg t1_jaeyx1s wrote

Why’s that? Tour groups go there all the time without incident

renegadeMare t1_jaewgph wrote

You mean from the West? I think they're entitled and foolish and want to become bargaining meat for N. Korea and think they're safe.

Lifted2222 t1_jaewu4j wrote

i meant anybody who'd want to

renegadeMare t1_jaexgr6 wrote

That applies to like a lot of people (not just from the West), but especially high-value targets and that would be people from the West most especially. Like what do people not get about dangerous places in the world? State Department has 'do not travel' as a very high-risk place.

panascope t1_jaey55c wrote

I'd also like to see it, my marginal contribution to the state is surely no more evil than the impact my normal purchases have.

stupidfock t1_jaevtq4 wrote

Respect. I’m planning on going there too. I think there’s value in seeing even a skewed glimpse of it

tableclothcape t1_jaexbt2 wrote

North Korea is an unimaginably cruel place: cartoonish evil is still evil. It says a lot about someone if they’re more amused by the cartoonish than horrified of abetting the evil.

By going there a person directly legitimizes and directly funds brutal and devastating things, including concentration camps. There isn’t a dispute about this.

__Jimmy__ t1_jaexf18 wrote

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

[deleted] OP t1_jaexnoy wrote

I’m sorry that’s an exceptionally dangerous place. And they do nit care if your American. You literally have no rights.

llcucf80 t1_jaez5i4 wrote

I'm an American. If another fellow American wants to go to the hermit kingdom our government basically tells them to want in one hand, and, well you know the rest. As Americans we're prohibited from going to North Korea. You can pout, cry, stomp, give puppy dog eyes, etc, our government isn't yielding.

I seldom agree with a lot of what our government does, but in this case I have to agree. It's not safe, we cannot provide safety or even guarantee return trip home, they don't like us, so there's no reason to go and at least as far as this regime exists or any other successor in the same mold, the answer needs to be no.