Submitted by askingforafakefriend t3_xwe4wh in BuyItForLife

Hello, looking at replacing Corelle plates with bone China. My understanding is the biggest measure of quality is percent bone ash (a higher percent allows for thinner, lighter and stronger plates and more translucence). US minimum is 25%, China 30% and UK 50%.
Most brands do not list their bone ash percent.
I am guessing if I want to spend a fortune wedgwood is likely high percent and the Costco brand which is a very good price is low bone ash percent.
Can anyone suggest middle ground brands that are likely higher bone ash percent?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lordjeebus t1_ir62apj wrote

I've been using Royal Copenhagen china since we received it as a wedding gift over 10 years ago. I don't know the bone ash percent but there have only been a few small chips and one broken cup despite daily use including two young boys.

The blue fluted half lace pattern is over 100 years old, and old pieces in good condition are easy to find.

mama_delio t1_ir6bjy7 wrote

I'm also a huge fan of Royal Copenhagen! Sometimes I buy new, but I do buy lots used through auctions.

Ella0508 t1_ir6lorg wrote

My mother bought 12 place settings of a beautiful Rosenthal pattern that I still use today. Noritake is good too, I believe — my sister bought that.

Own-Safe-4683 t1_ir7t3zc wrote

Wedgewood Nantucket Basket pattern.

Wedgewood has be sold a few times. I think fiskars still owns them. Some say quality went down after production moved from England.

ol-gormsby t1_ir97clt wrote

I'm glad my set came from the UK. Ordered at the factory, shipped to Australia.

Mine's called "Cantata" and it was only listed for about 5 years.

OP you could try a "remainders" dealer, e.g.:

https://www.replacements.com/china-wedgwood-cantata/c/113310

Own-Safe-4683 t1_ir9wb24 wrote

One of the benefits of the Nantucket pattern is that you can always buy more or replacement pieces. I have kids. If bone China gets dropped it still breaks.

SeaworthinessTop1419 t1_irbzzze wrote

Bone ash and % are not accurate ways to judge quality. While Corelle is very low priced dinnerware Wedgwood is some of the most expensive on the market, and is rarely used daily. Are you planning to never use a dishwasher? Or put this into a microwave? Many patterns cannot go into either. Part of why these are expensive is because of how high maintainence their care is. So many patterns contain lead that is sealed under finishes that don't last and cause exposure to lead. I use Polish pottery or newer Fiestaware but while these are safe and without contaminates they aren't thin bone china either. Lead safe mama has a lot of tested dish patterns if you want safe durable dishes.

Sharchir t1_ir6t5e6 wrote

Loving our royal dalton almost 20 years on

cicada_shell t1_ir8aoij wrote

What is your budget?

askingforafakefriend OP t1_irab9mi wrote

I don't have one in particular. Spending $40 a plate as per fancy Wedgewood is more than I want or need. $20 a plate would be fine.

cicada_shell t1_iracpzf wrote

Go on Mary Mahoney and browse some of the patterns. I like companies like Juliska and Motahedeh, personally, especially the former's bamboo pattern and the latter's version of Blue Canton. Sometimes you can find these for sale in your range. Vintage sets also look like a good deal at first but some of them will leach lead. Create a few ebay or etsy alerts for things you like and collect. Be advised a lot of formerly respected brands like Georg Jensen now make all their home goods in China yet still charge middle-high prices, so look carefully.

askingforafakefriend OP t1_iradke3 wrote

Thanks. I am most interested in which brands have a higher percent bone ash. These will be everyday dinnerware so material and strength is more important than pattern

Sook1970 t1_irny4ba wrote

I LOVE my Gordon Ramsey white Royal Doulton Maze dinnerware. I happened by it during a big sale at Macys at least a decade ago and we have used it every day since, including for dinner parties. I know I will use it forever — highly recommend. Still in perfect condition — no chips etc.

superpt17 t1_is7e6cr wrote

Vista Alegre wont fail you