Submitted by dragonsnbutterflies t3_xzjunk in BuyItForLife

I'd like to find a pair of kitchen and garden shears that last more than a season. I usually use them for light pruning (think tomatoes), harvesting veg, as well as the occasional use in the kitchen (mostly just opening sealed bags and such).

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Joaquox t1_irmils7 wrote

You know you're supposed to sharpen them, right?

ChioneG t1_irmm6os wrote

For heavy duty use, I love my Cutco shears. They're a big tool though, so not really intended for fine work like pruning. They are excellent for de-boning a chicken, cutting thick plastic bindings, packaging, etc. I have one set for the kitchen and one in my garage tool box. I've had them for years and only bought the second pair so that I didn't have to worry about contamination in the kitchen. They separate for ease of cleaning and are dish washer safe.

Quail-a-lot t1_irnja6m wrote

For pruning I like Felco, but Corona has some nice light duty models too if you need a budget option that is better than Fiskars.

For kitchen tasks I prefer traditional Chinese scissors. I have had this set for a decade now, which they sadly don't carry anymore, but you can find these on Amazon and such as well or sometimes in import stores: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/kitchen/knives-and-cutlery/scissors-and-snips/10215-traditional-chinese-scissors?item=45K1010

bad-monkey t1_irwr7uz wrote

I like corona, I just rehab'd a set of shears of theirs that I own but my beef is with their weird gel comfort grip. After enough time it just becomes gross and gooey. I had to wrap over those gel grips with paracord to avoid sliming my hand.

Quail-a-lot t1_irxhby3 wrote

I really wish they had that microshear with the locking mechanism with the same grips as the ones with that stupid pleather loop thing! I have both sorts and vastly prefer the centrelock. I haven't had them go slimy on me but I am often wearing gloves and don't sweat a ton. I can see how they could though for sure.

bad-monkey t1_irwr0zq wrote

Just got some Fiskars micro pruning shears, and while I am skeptical of all the plastic for a tool that I'm probably gonna leave outside, exposed to UV and abused, the (initial) sharpness is excellent.