Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ndsea t1_jdff449 wrote

This watch legitimately saved my ass from life threatening situations a couple times. Still have mine, but I’ve beaten it to shit and lost the back battery cover.

chrisabraham OP t1_jdfizxe wrote

I love that it yells at me when the weather's turning to shit!

zschl11 t1_jdhrbnv wrote

I love and hate this watch. I’ve worn it every day for 3 years now and it’s really taken a beating. Had to replace the original band with a nato strap, but it looks better anyway.

I love the features. The compass and altimeter are a lot of fun to use, and helpful when spending a lot of time outdoors. I also like the black background with white characters. An aesthetic thing, but I dig it.

I hate the buttons. They are so slow to respond it becomes quite annoying. Especially the chrono start/stop/reset. I use the chrono function multiple times/day for fitness or cooking things. More annoying than a deal breaker. I won’t buy another watch until I succeed in breaking this one

chrisabraham OP t1_jdeulnr wrote

>The Suunto Core is an outdoor sports watch designed and manufactured by Suunto, a Finnish company known for producing sports and outdoor equipment, particularly in the areas of diving, training, and navigation. The Suunto Core watch is a popular choice among outdoor enthusiasts, offering various features to assist in activities such as hiking, mountaineering, and camping.

>Key features of the Suunto Core watch include:

>Altimeter: The altimeter tracks your vertical movement, measuring altitude in relation to sea level. This is useful for hikers and mountaineers to monitor their progress as they ascend or descend.

>Barometer: The barometer measures atmospheric pressure, which can help predict weather changes. By monitoring the barometer trends, you can anticipate potential storms, allowing you to make better decisions regarding your outdoor activities.

>Compass: The Suunto Core features a digital compass that provides accurate and reliable directional information, helping users navigate unfamiliar terrain.

>Weather Trend Indicator: This feature displays weather trend information, giving you an idea of the potential weather conditions to expect in the coming hours.

>Storm Alarm: The watch has a built-in storm alarm, which alerts you to sudden drops in air pressure that could signal an approaching storm. This feature can be particularly useful for ensuring your safety during outdoor adventures.

>Multiple watch functions: The Suunto Core includes standard watch functions such as time, date, alarm, and dual time display.

>Sunrise and sunset times: The watch can display sunrise and sunset times for over 400 locations worldwide, helping you plan your outdoor activities more effectively.

>Water resistance: The Suunto Core is water-resistant up to 30 meters (100 feet), making it suitable for use in wet conditions or during water-based activities like swimming or snorkeling.

>Durable design: The watch is designed to withstand harsh outdoor conditions, featuring a rugged casing and an elastomer strap.

>User-replaceable battery: The Suunto Core uses a CR2032 battery, which is easily replaceable by the user, ensuring you can keep your watch powered during long outdoor adventures.

>Although the Suunto Core is not a smartwatch and does not have features like GPS, it remains a popular choice for outdoor enthusiasts due to its reliability, durability, and the essential functions it provides for navigating and monitoring weather conditions during outdoor activities.

#ChatGPT-4

monroe37 t1_jdf4qmi wrote

Denzel wears a watch like this in Equalizer

chrisabraham OP t1_jdf7gxy wrote

Totally! But he has different FIRMWARE on the watch. Mine can't do that like that. Maybe he modded with a RaspberryPI :)

takeoff_power_set t1_jdhsi3d wrote

I have a core I bought years ago but the barometer crapped out on me on year 2. I wonder if Suunto would fix it for me? Anyone have experience with their service department? Any good?

I did like the watch while it was working. The barometer was critical for me, it served as my main weather alert when hiking in the mountains.

I also have their mc-2 global compass which again, is amazing in design but a bubble developed in it again after 2 or 3 years, making it tough to use properly.

I feel like Suunto is great at design but in terms of longevity/BIFL either I have just been unlucky or the long term quality just isn't there.

jens_omaniac t1_jdhwk3x wrote

My cousin had it returned because fog on the inside after two month ...

chrisabraham OP t1_jdhx1rc wrote

As a scuba diver I'm really careful about the o ring because the back really could be compromised. That's why G-Shock watches make it so hard to replace the battery and all you need for a Core is a nickel. Keep the oring clean and make sure it's not nicked or dry. If needed, a little silicon oil but wipe all the excess off. Good luck!

ATS606 t1_jdi3pzz wrote

Suunto is just a great finnish brand. I have one of their sighting compasses and only had it for 3 years but can tell it’ll last for life.

Jakk55 t1_jdriotw wrote

Have one of these and use it for backpacking, but I hate how fast it runs through batteries. Wish they made a solar version.

chrisabraham OP t1_jdrk9h2 wrote

Yeah. I wish they evolved it. It's so iconic. It's the Finish Square, if you get my meaning.

Jakk55 t1_jdrnysa wrote

Funny you should say that cause there have been a few times that I've gone to grab it before heading out to the trail and found the battery to be dead and taken by G-Shock GWM5610 instead. I miss the backup compass and barometer when on the trail though.