Submitted by dewder23 t3_ynm6xu in BuyItForLife

So I go through slippers a lot. I work from home and rarely go out so they're on all day every day. I wear them pottering about in the garden too. They never last, longest lasting pair was about six months. I'm on my fifth pair this year.

Maybe they don't exist but can anyone recommend some bifl slippers with the following traits:

Moccasin sized (nothing that's like an UGG boot)

Has a back on the heel (I don't know how people wear footwear without backs)

Hard wearing and Water proof soles (I go outside to my greenhouse/chickens a lot).

Warm (I'm up north in the UK).

I tried them but can't stand Crocs fwiw.

Not sure what I'm willing to pay. If they truly were bifl then probs a fair bit. I've bought £100 slippers before with hopes they were bifl but again, didn't last at all.

Cheers

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

whitedragon551 t1_iv9r7v8 wrote

Glerups with the rubber sole.

dewder23 OP t1_iv9sev0 wrote

These look/sound really good, and get great reviews too, I'll look into them some more, thanks!

BrickPig t1_ivgo899 wrote

I bought a pair of the Glerups slip-ons with the leather soles about 5 years ago which I have worn daily ever since. Aside from a bit of loose stitching (my fault), they are still virtually like new. A few weeks ago I pooled some money I received for my birthday and ordered a pair of the boots with rubber soles, so I could wear them outdoors more than I'm willing to with the leather soles. Could not be happier with either pair. I recommend them to everybody.

Traditional-Fan-6494 t1_iv9m7hc wrote

I feel like you need two different items here. I’m in the US and we call these “rubber duckies” but I imagine you have something similar in the UK. Then for inside there are lots of slippers I’ve seen discussed

dewder23 OP t1_iv9pbpa wrote

Yeah my wife tells me all the time "slippers are only for inside the house!" and I've tried to do that, having my trainers by the back door etc but it's faffy and I forget, and there's like 5 exits to the outside in the house. This is why I thought it might not be something I can find; multipurpose, slippers that work outside too.

That store has a global version though and their moccasins look good, cheers.

LumiVaris t1_ivagt83 wrote

The important part is for both pairs to be slip on. That way it's not so much trouble. I really recommend against wearing slippers indoors and out - changing footwear on entering the house keeps the floor clean!

dewder23 OP t1_ivb3rte wrote

I know, I know! If my wife saw this comment she would very much say "I told you so!". Maybe I'll see about getting a cheap pair of slip-ons for the garden and trying again.

LumiVaris t1_ivjx33q wrote

I've been thinking about this and I think you should keep your outdoor shoes beside the chair you always sit in and bring them with you to go out. Then just be sure to enter back through the door you went out of to get your slippers back!

kuddlesworth9419 t1_ivbh8mr wrote

I wear slippers inside and outside. They get wrecked but they last a couple or years at least. Last pair I had where some sheepskin and wool lined ones. I still use them now but I should really get a new pair because they are wearing out. I'm cheap though so I will probably keep using them until they are unusable.

[deleted] t1_iv9puu3 wrote

North Face slippers. When you look at them you'll see which ones I mean.

When I was in the army. Tons of guys had these. Could go outside with them and inside. Seemed to last for long periods. I never had a set. As I was to tight to buy them

dewder23 OP t1_iv9quyx wrote

Just looked at reviews and they're mixed, good for outdoor but insoles don't last. They look a bit silly but will check out some more reviews as they sound ideal on paper, cheers!

SamAreAye t1_iv9ohxt wrote

I owned a pair of these before, and they were amazing. Is that in line with what you're looking for?

dewder23 OP t1_iv9pn8d wrote

Yeah that's the kind of thing I normally wear. Shame they don't ship internationally.

From the many slippers I've had, two things that stand out as a possible concern on those though is the fur lining on the sole and the thin outer sole. Former trends to very quickly compress into uncomfyness and the latter can wear down pretty quick. Did you notice either of those?

reverendjb t1_iva838w wrote

I'm in a similar situation and have a pair of sanuks that i like

dewder23 OP t1_ivb3u3x wrote

Look pretty good, cheers for the suggestion!

Pearl_krabs t1_ivaj7hk wrote

LL Bean wicked good slippers.

dewder23 OP t1_ivb4b6i wrote

Been looking at these, another vote is a good sign 👍

Pearl_krabs t1_ivb8a8s wrote

My son wears them as regular shoes 24/7 he goes through a pair a year.

jchis t1_iw4s5m6 wrote

Love mine. Daily wear including outdoors. Still mint.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_ivampvd wrote

Santa Cruze loafer. Canvas upper, croc lower. Good for yardwork.

You need separate shoes for indoor and outdoor or your bringing dirt into the house.

dewder23 OP t1_ivb47f3 wrote

Didn't know Crocs did slippers like this, they look pretty good actually, nice thick sole as I can wear those down fast somehow.

I know, I should, I'll try!

Cheers.

Koninglelijk t1_iv9roij wrote

I was going to say crocs, then I read your line about no crocs, but I'm still going to say crocs.

My pair is about 13-15 years old or so, still in perfect condition with daily usage.

dewder23 OP t1_iv9rz67 wrote

Haha I knew someone would! My wife loves them, and I've tried them. The sole is weird with its little dots! And they have holes in them! I got her the fur lined ones and tried those too, but they squeak! Drives me insane. Crocs are definitely out.

Koninglelijk t1_iv9s4ye wrote

Well I wish you nothing less but the best footwear experience you can get, hope you find something!

stereolithography t1_iva1dxf wrote

I've had a pair of the Teva Embers that I liked a lot, but weren't as secure to my foot as I had hoped. Got a pair of the Teva Remember Mids last year and I really like them. Use them around the house, in the chicken run, and have mowed the lawn in them without any issues. Looks like they're hard to get ahold of right now, but definitely suggest them if you can

dewder23 OP t1_iva214c wrote

Oh those have a trainer looking sole, they look good, thanks for the suggestion!

IntelligentVisual304 t1_ivd2ppd wrote

Maybe some of the slippers or mocs from Minnetonka might fit your needs?

Delicious-Middle-847 t1_ivd5un1 wrote

I love my Minnetonkas so much I got two pairs. One for home and one for the RV. Wear them for everything inside and outside. My oldest set is 2 years old and going strong. Heck I even shovel snow in them sometimes. Best slippers I’ve ever owned.

Jimmytowne t1_ivdelh6 wrote

I didn’t understand why you’d wear your slippers indoors after tending to chickens outside but to each it’s own.

You need two pairs of slippers. One for outside and one for inside. Or just slippers inside and shoes for outside.

With that said, Sorel makes a decent indoor/outdoor slipper

Threeflow t1_ivdj8qt wrote

Not sure if it falls under waterproof but it ticks every other box - The Dr Comfort Relax. Technically orthopedic/diabetic footwear but it's decently solid for a slipper, has a rubber sole and is designed for people who smash their feet into the ground with every step. The innersoles are replaceable as well so you can extend the lifespan with new innersoles as needed.

ntmstr1993 t1_ivdmomu wrote

If you need open toed hard wearing slippers, look into vulcanized rubber soled ones. Essentially recycled tire rubber. Southeast Asia has a lot of those kinds and they're very durable.

IReplyWithLebowski t1_iv9sir2 wrote

FYI I wearing some moccasin ugg boots now, or did you just not like the sheepskin element?

dewder23 OP t1_iv9sqy8 wrote

No it was specifically the boot size I meant, when looking for good slippers people tend to recommend UGG boots (and/or Crocs). Not a big fan of the brand tbh but I can ignore that if they are bifl. How long have you had yours? Do you use them outside?

IReplyWithLebowski t1_iv9tbof wrote

Oh ok, cool.

Boring backstory: “ugg boots” are a generic name for sheepskin boots here in Australia, people just wear them as slippers, rarely out. UGG is an American company that trademarked the name overseas, and then sued other makers to stop them selling the same shoes they always have! Consequently Australians hate them with a fiery passion.

Anyway there’s dozens of brands here, but I’m not sure which are available/allowed to sell overseas. Mine are Emus, I also hear good things about https://uggaustralia.com.au/pages/melbourne-factory-shop and https://originaluggboots.com.au/collections/ugg-slippers

Had mine about 4 years, yeah I potter around in them outside but nothing too crazy.

dewder23 OP t1_iv9t657 wrote

Actually, I've just looked at their Ascot slipper and I've had those before. Iirc the outsides of the slipper ended up over hanging the outer sole and basically touched the floor because their rubber soles are narrower than the shoe. This made them wear down on pavement and let water in.

mad_cyber_scientist t1_ivbirwa wrote

I haven’t had problems with that so far (3.5 years in) and you can replace the insole so the shearling isn’t matted. Love them- although, I don’t wear them away from home- so only pavement they see is driveway to mailbox.

Bgkirch t1_iva4jmx wrote

Look around at the options that Chaco has! I’ve recently bought slip ons and the fleece lined ones and have been super pleased. Strong soles and good warranties too

Dunbar_91 t1_ivaqdr3 wrote

I’ve enjoyed these OluKai slippers.

oniwolf382 t1_ivccn05 wrote

I can't say anything about the slippers, but Olukai is an amazing brand. I have some leather sandals that I've put hundreds of miles on over the years, and the sole is still looking like new.

Endor-Fins t1_ivat0wo wrote

I have SoftMoc brand sheepskin lined moccasins that are holding up brilliantly. They have a rubber sole on the bottom so if I wear them outside by accident I can just wipe the bottoms off. I’ve had mine for two years now and could see them lasting at least a decade if I don’t get them wet

dewder23 OP t1_ivb4m7x wrote

I'll 100% forget and get them wet. And I walk on grass a bit from time to time when I forget fire wood and quickly run out to get some.

couldbeyouornot t1_ivb05yo wrote

look into the zermatt line of slippers/mocs at birkenstock. they have a regular birkenstock insole, and there are different levels of outsole. some are just latex dipped (I have those) and some have actual rubber soles. all on birkenstock's website.

FlatterFlat t1_ivb0gs5 wrote

How about clogs? That or wellies is the standard footwear for farmers in Denmark.

dewder23 OP t1_ivb3he6 wrote

I have wellies for my serious garden work, but I'm looking for something comfy for inside but capable just to nip out in, on pavement mostly but quite possible they can get wet from stepping over the grass now and then. Clogs I can't get on board with, you mean like Crocs style right?

Yourgrandmasskillet t1_ivb1915 wrote

Do you wear socks with them? I’m a big fan of Birkenstock Arizona EVA(foam) with cozy (wool)socks. I’ve had a pair for a few years and used them as slippers mostly. Plus they can’t smell or get wet.

dewder23 OP t1_ivb2xic wrote

I do! I wear socks religiously. It takes a really hot summer day to catch me without socks on. Just looked at those, sandals aren't something I can get along with, bought a similar pair on a summer holiday once but felt super weird to me and I went back to trainers.

edhitchon1993 t1_ivb54yx wrote

Personal experience of similar use, M&S (T034100S) have lasted me about three years so far (weekends and winter evenings only). I have had to restitch one of the soles after some fire happened and I had to use them for light firefighting.

Alternatively, the hardcore option would be some clogs, can't speak for their sheepskin ones, but my general purpose clogs are still basically mint after three and a half years. If you do go for this option I would recommend going to the clog shop, or following their instructions for getting a good fit.

dewder23 OP t1_ivb6bln wrote

I've had these, those are the same right? https://www.marksandspencer.com/suede-slip-on-slippers-with-freshfeet/p/clp60174470

They didn't last me long 🤷 I wasn't exaggerating I'm in slippers all day most days of the year. Maybe I do need to go the hardcore route!

edhitchon1993 t1_ivba7tm wrote

Yes, not sure why my link failed there but we move. Another thing to consider is that you might get better mileage by having two pairs and alternating, allowing them to properly dry between uses.

The clogs are genuinely brilliant, +10 for endurance, but a definite -20 for stealth.

idokeren10 t1_ivcxb8p wrote

I'll recommend Super Birki and only because I used to wear them a lot at work, lab.

MCHammerspace t1_ivdw80x wrote

Definitely recommend these. I have the version without the back. I’ve been wearing the same pair for years. They’ve acquired a few scuffs, but are amazingly comfortable and in excellent condition.

FreshFoxOfBelAir t1_ivktcit wrote

I always have the same problem I've been using slippers from Lands End for the past year. Thick rubber sole woth a nice suede support around the opening so it stays rigid. This will be the first year I don't have to replace slippers!

filthyburrows t1_ivmjx0p wrote

I'm quite a big fan of these Kubua slippers. I ordered them for me and my brother and we were both quite happy. There the type of slippers that got softer and more comfortable with time. They are easy to keep clean and have a snug fit on my feet.

BigBlueRedYellow t1_ivpozd9 wrote

Merrill makes a really nice set of slip on house shoes type things I use like you describe

Sickofbaltimore t1_iw9ynn0 wrote

If you're willing to pay a fair bit, Russell Moccasin is exactly what you need. Even if you wear out the soles, they can be resoled.

Similarly, Rancourt and Quoddy will for your needs.

Like I said, it's going to be expensive ($250+) but they are perfectly suited as house and garden shoes.