Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Muncie4 t1_ivven7n wrote

You are conclusion shopping which is not a good look. The answer is no.

BIFL is based in 99% of cases on goodyear or other recraftable construction, these are not.

If you have a desire, state the use case, budget, looks...heck post a picture of the style even as combat style means many things to many people. Then ask for help. Without knowing any of the above, we can't really help

DrKennethNoisewater- t1_ivvnknw wrote

I’m still confused how those are “combat-style” boots.

DarkAce5 OP t1_ivvouft wrote

That's just what someone called them so I just used it. I meant daily beater boots that don't look super heavy duty and can be worn in all weather. I'll mostly wear in winter and during hikes.

DrKennethNoisewater- t1_ivvpjq6 wrote

Something Goodyear welt will be buy it for life. However, that doesn’t necessarily jive with hiking. Keen is very good and “buy it for a long time” but does not have replaceable soles.

DarkAce5 OP t1_ivvokth wrote

Fair enough!

I don't mean I won't buy another pair ever. I mean, will they last 4 or 5 winters in Canada?

As for the styling, something similar to these. Grippy, and can be worn indoors and out for hiking etc. Budget being under $300, the lower the better.

As for pictures, for some reason I wasn't able to when I posted this. I'll look into why.

Thanks!

bad-monkey t1_ivvpjbx wrote

it's hard to say whether they'll last 4 or 5 winters, but in summary these are mostly throwaway construction and the most likely failure is either (1) it gets well used and the upper eventually falls apart (best case), (2) the boots work for a while but the TPU sole delaminates from the rest of the boot, or (3) the TPU itself rots and disintegrates.

I don't know this boot well enough to say how likely 2 & 3 are, but I will say that people generally have a higher opinion of blundstone when it comes to this kind of boot.

if you want a truly BIFL boot for these conditions:

https://shop.whitesboots.com/all-boots/hiker/

https://nicksboots.com/howard-boot-classic-configuration/

DarkAce5 OP t1_ivvxhqh wrote

What's your impression of Vasque?

Muncie4 t1_ivwpbms wrote

No one can tell you how long they will last as that question contains 5000 variables that no one can account for. And I don't have anything in my brain with similar styling. Most goodyear welt boots have normal or D ring, so finding something with this look with repairability is gonna be hard. Closest I could find was this link, but not sure if the company is still around or not. https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/kuftqb/vem%C3%B6dalen_st_denis_one_weeks_usage/

DarkAce5 OP t1_ivyosf7 wrote

Thanks! Yeah, this looks really good! Repairability isn't all too important (I know that's no longer BIFL).

The main thing was something stylish enough to wear to school/work (I work in the hospital and research buildings) that won't fail too quickly and is robust.

Jesuislenuit t1_ivvtu6t wrote

I can’t say for myself, but my brother works for a delivery company. He bought timberlands thinking they’d be durable, he’s bout three pairs this year because they kept falling apart. Right now he is supergluing the soles to stay on so he can get them to last as long as possible. I wouldn’t recommend it

bad-monkey t1_ivvuiha wrote

are these the vanilla timbs or the timb pro's? I have timb pro workboots and they're fine--I mostly bought them because they were light and comfortable, not necessarily BIFL--but they seem well made.

DarkAce5 OP t1_ivvxi7u wrote

What's your impression of Vasque?

Rare-Historian7777 t1_ivvwjzb wrote

Timberlands used to be really great construction boots made to last. Then they became “fashionable” and the quality went downhill as their popularity rose among the “never actually step foot on a construction site” crowd. Don’t know this specific model, but if you’re looking for good-quality work boots, I’d recommend Chippewa or RedWing. Hiking is not the same as work boots so that’s an entirely separate question. What is it that you’re looking for?

DarkAce5 OP t1_ivypojy wrote

I'm part of that "will never step into a construction zone" crowd. I just like my things to be robust and comfortable. The timberlands were mostly for style. But basically anything I can wear during winter and walk through the slush around the university campus, while still looking professional enough to take into the lab, hospital, and operating rooms.

I know this makes it sound difficult, but I guess I'm going into this not knowing much about boots (I've only baught the typical adidas and nike runners, soccer cleats, some super heavy-duty winter boots, and some not-so-amazing hiking boots that hurt my feet and knees after a few hours). I guess I want to bridge that "super-heavy duty winter boots" and "hiking boots" gap with a reliable and fashionable pair...

PapaRacoon t1_ivuzvvv wrote

I’d say no. But can’t say for sure.

dinkle-stinkwinkle t1_ivvu82s wrote

Timberlands are straight garbage. Idk why anyone wears them outside of NYC.

lemelisk42 t1_ivw89pg wrote

No experience with the specific boots, but timberlands are the least durable boots I've ever used in their price bracket. By a large margin. I've had 3 of their boots, all were absolute garbage

CriticuhL t1_ivwf9zc wrote

Ive been wearing a pair of Keen San Jose steel toes for near 2 years at work (usually a year max before ill switch em out). 5 days a week 10 hours a day on a concrete floor/in the back of pick up trucks. Put on about 20k steps a day and they are still in fairly decent shape. I love em in the summer, and i liked them just as much in the canadian winter (nova scotia for reference). I’ll be replacing them after winter, but my god they are a nice boot!