Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mad_cyber_scientist t1_iw3lxe2 wrote

I really like Oliver Wicks ready made suits. Not sure how you define reasonably priced, but they are cheaper than poorly made department store suits and more expensive than something like Burlington Coat factory. Their customer service is exceptional. They are half canvased, which will contribute to their longevity. $450 for RTW, MTM can be quite a bit more. I wear suits 4-5 times a week and the first suit I got from them (5 years ago) is still pristine. Although I did have to resew a cuff button this year.

RecurringRevenue t1_iwjax18 wrote

Hey. Sorry to bother, but what is MTM and RTW? Ready to wear and made to something?

Notsureifsirius t1_iw3f3dc wrote

How often do you spread out the wearing of each suit? What’s your definition of ragged? Where did you get your current suits?

You can get a Macys suit or spend $1500 on a MTM suit either one will still going to be worn out if you wear it too often.

Pr0tagon1sst OP t1_iw3gmnf wrote

I wear each suit once a week on average. Ragged to me is the fabric wearing thinner. The suits have come from a variety of places, from men’s wearhouse to Nordstrom’s.

The suit I’ve had the longest is a Perry Ellis wool suit made in china that’s held together remarkably well over a decade. The suit I’ve been least impressed with was a suit supply suit that went from “clothing” to garbage in a few weeks.

Notsureifsirius t1_iw3ic0n wrote

Which part of the fabric is wearing thin? Is it the pants? If so, I’d recommend that you buy spare pants (if possible) for future suits and spread out the wear. (So the pants are worn less 1 every two weeks.)

This link has some good advice for getting wear out of your suits. Counterintuitively, one problem is that “finer” suits (softer wool fabrics with high ‘super’ numbers) are going to wear out quicker than lower super numbers.

I’d guess that the reason your Chinese made Perry Ellis suit outlasted the Suitsupply suit is likely because the Perry Ellis suit is either made of “cheap” but sturdy wool or is at least somewhat synthetic.

SixthKing t1_iw4sq04 wrote

One trick that works with tailoring is to get two pairs of pants made per suit, because pants wear out faster than jackets.

Muncie4 t1_iw5ot6x wrote

There's quite a big of dumb going on here, so I'll just give you information sans brand names, save one ;) and let you choose merrily.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_number_(wool) is what you want to learn. This is the standard for wool suiting. A lower number is what you want. S100 is probably the right mark. If the suit makes no mention of the S number of the fabric, you are looking at a Kmart suit.
  2. Polyester content of zero. Polyester is hot and you want to eschew its use. But...sometimes a deal or a look wins the day.
  3. Tailoring. Not a BIFL premise but one that 90% of men need to hear. Find a suit tailor. Your suit does not "fit perfect" nor do the pants just need hemmed and the sleeves shortened which many places do next day for $0. You need a fitting with a tailor/seamstress and your budget for this should be $100 per suit.
  4. Deep closet. If you dress business professional M-F then you need a deep bench. You goal should be ~15 suits. If you must wear a suit this can be challenging. If you can mix it up with sportcoat/dress pants, things become easier as you can mix and match items easier. Remember eBay and know your size and traditional suiting styles. I have found several titanic Savile Row items on eBay for $50-$100 because .0001% of men have ever heard of Huntsman or Chester Barrie in terms of suiting.

And as stated by someone else, Oliver Wicks ticks many of these checkpoints for new. Spring for full canvas for the additional $110. And DO flex their after purchase tailoring refund.

armandursun t1_iw6rire wrote

Not really what this forum is about, but in my experience it’s way better to go to a country like Turkiye for two weeks, get a tailor to size you up and assess which fabrics you like. Then just let him make two of everything. A two piece suit of s120 wool will run you about 200-300 dollars. You want to get high class fabrics like cashmere and silk it won’t cost you very much: 300-400 bucks.

A suit is not going to last forever if you wear one to work every day. To get longevity out of your suits you should have many of them.

oxmix74 t1_iw9e4dv wrote

"I am in court a lot" I hope you are a lawyer or an expert witness....

cottercutie t1_iwq8tpj wrote

My husband buys Jos A Banks primarily, and occasionally some wool suits at Men's Wearhouse suits. He wears a suit daily, he's a funeral director, so they're getting a LOT of wear and accidental bumps, spills etc. His Jos A Banks suits have served him quite well, and some are a few years old and still look new. He also has a great tailor who tailors his suits for him.

YoSoyUu t1_ixrlxbm wrote

Mapledoram

--ThirdCultureKid-- t1_iw444d2 wrote

Do a google search for “durable fabrics”. I’m pretty sure Denim and Linen will come up, but there may be others. Then get some bespoke suits made out of them.

BloodyLlama t1_iw4qirq wrote

Most suits are made of wool which is already quite durable.