Submitted by nerdyharrybartending t3_z5mdvk in BuyItForLife

Guy at the hardware store pointed me to a Sears Outlet that had a catalog of used and "slightly imperfect" appliances. I'm just curious if anyone has any references like that for the famous and elusive pre-2017 Speed Queens that everyone's talking about. Is there a market for the old machines, and where should I go about looking? Should I just call up every appliance distributor in the area?

Still deciding between the Speed Queen TC5 and the Maytag 575 but if I can get the OG Speed Queen I feel like that should be top priority. Any advice appreciated

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NewbieSecurity510 t1_ixwu325 wrote

craigslist offerup and Facebook marketplace

reklaw03 t1_ixz0gsj wrote

Also try local auctions and Goodwills. My last washer was an old Kenmore from Goodwill that lasted another 11 years until the transmission went out. And its replacement, commercial GE, from an auction of an appliance store.

Da3m0n_1379 t1_iy6phac wrote

I bought a washer and dryer from OfferUp for $125. Two years later, dryer still going strong. Had to buy new washer

Em_Adespoton t1_ixwwvae wrote

I sold my awesome Bosch frontloader on Craigslist. Would have loved to keep it but was moving to a house that already had a stacked Whirlpool set. Still wish I could have kept my Bosch. The people who bought it got a great deal… only tricky part was transport.

nerdyharrybartending OP t1_ixx2f4x wrote

Bosch always comes up as a solid brand but I have their dishwasher and it just...doesn't wash anything? I basically just hand wash and use it to rinse. Sad :(

Em_Adespoton t1_ixxknya wrote

I think with any of the brands it really depends on the model and year. My Bosch was a workhorse that got out almost anything, didn’t leave soap residue, and did minimal thread damage. It even had a delicates mode where you stick a rack in the bottom and it would gently wash clothes on a hand wash setting.

But I’ve heard of plenty of other Bosch (and Whirlpool etc) models/builds that are totally useless.

My current whirlpool had to have its drum screw replaced after a year because it sheared off near the head. And the machine leaves way more soap residue than my Bosch did.

Quail-a-lot t1_ixww5me wrote

This seems like something for your local sub. You don't even mention what country you are in, let alone province/state/territory. I don't think telling you about great appliance stores on Vancouver Island is going to help ya much if you have to fly here to buy a washing machine.

Also those Speed Queens beat the crap out of my clothing back in the day. If having a BIFL washing machine causes me to have to go clothes shopping more often that is no deal!

nerdyharrybartending OP t1_ixx2bi4 wrote

Bruv you could've just said check your local stores. thanks anyway

−2

Quail-a-lot t1_ixxp2ez wrote

Nah, the best used appliance stores here don't advertise and are deep in the back of some sketchy industrial area, hence the recommendation to ask your locals. Might be something you've missed and might not have an obvious name. One of my favourites is just an initial and their last name so it doesn't come up on searches right away.

nerdyharrybartending OP t1_ixxpzsm wrote

I live in nyc so "asking the locals" isn't really an option. there's basically no mom and pops unless i go to NJ or Queens/BK. i'll wander some industrial areas see what i can find 😅