Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

pacochalk t1_j0vkct4 wrote

I've been using a K&H heating pad the last few winters. A feral cat comes around when it's cold to warm up. I just leave it plugged in all winter. So far so good.

It's in a covered area so not really exposed to the elements though.

Alternative_Arm_2583 t1_j0vbpzn wrote

I've used the outdoor K&H indoors for my dog for years. One just lasted about 8 years, I replaced it this year -- just to be safe -- and it seems exactly the same. It's the "lectrosoft outdoor heated bed". The one thing which perhaps contributes to it's longetivity is that it only heats up to doggy body temperature (103 or so?).... not sure what you are hoping for heatwise.

waehrik t1_j0va9lh wrote

The electronics are simple so much of it will depend on how well it's taken care of physically and the environment it's used in. The heaters all use resistive wire, typically a nichrome alloy. These work like an ultra-low wattage incandescent light bulb - converting electricity to heat over a distance. Except instead of converting 75 watts over a fraction of an inch, the different wire choice converts ~50w over 1+ square feet.

That's all relevant because of how things can go wrong. If an electrical short is caused by moisture ingress, the heater's resistance drops and it will suddenly pull a lot more power and often melt. Extreme hot and cold cycling can stress the plastic case as can UV exposure if they're left exposed to the sun.

About the worst possible thing to do is leave one of the pads on the ground in an area with poor drainage. It will eventually fail. But if it's kept within an enclosure and off the ground any of them should lead a long life.

BunchLittle213 t1_j0vc0vr wrote

Pet can't come inside?

FuzzyPine t1_j0vf997 wrote

I have 4 fixed feral barn cats. If you're willing to home them, you're welcome to

Puzzled_Sky9875 t1_j0vi7dj wrote

When I had feral colonies, this may not be feasable for you, but I shopped at thrift stores and purchased any and all used goose down vests and jackets, even if ratty looking. I placed them inside a pillowcase and then put them in their cat beds, baskets, or boxes, And so when dirty, I just had to launder the pillowcase.

No electricity needed, and they kept pretty warm.

A friend of mine used a microwavable gel pack, sorry do not know the brand. This kept the bed warm all night. It is more trouble to deal with, she only had one or two ferals, but it worked well.

Thank you for caring for these kitties.

grindermonk t1_j0vnyp8 wrote

We found a large cooler at a thrift shop, and drilled an 8” diameter hole in the side. It is about the size of a small square bale of hay, so we stacked it in our hay mow with bales on top, bottom and three sides. A bit of chopped straw bedding and the cats are insulated and snuggled up together every night. No electricity necessary.

Puzzled_Sky9875 t1_j0vxmzt wrote

That’s a great solution! Super insulated! I see those for sale cheap at thrift stores and even free on nextdoor and craigslist. Thanks for sharing that!

grindermonk t1_j0vzok5 wrote

Depending on the style of cooler, you may need to spray some expanding foam between the inner and outer walls after cutting the hole in the side. We did that and cut the bottom off an 8” plastic planter which we stuck into the hole to create a short tube that sticks out the side to maximize the insulating properties of the cooler and allow us to set it deeper into the stack of bales.

Quail-a-lot t1_j0vfidn wrote

It is going to depend a lot on how protected the space is. And really the more insulated and weather tight, yet still vented you can make the place the heater is going in, the more comfy the critter will be be using it anyhow.

For our barncats, we have one by NAMsam that is 24" by 18". Key things I was looking for included adjustable temperature and an armoured cable since they were still kittens when we got it. We first just had it in a wicker basket, with a thin blanket over it because they have filthy muddy paws plus the cover super attracts fur. Much easier to clean the blanket. They are a bit big for the basket now, so we built them a box with the bottom the same dimensions as the heater and insulated the top. The bottom and half way up the sides (like a baby crib bumper?) we made thin cushions so they have a kinda couch thing. The other sides are open so moisture doesn't build up, but when it is super cold I drape a blanket over it. Front is cut out a bit to allow them to go in and out and thermoregulated by draping half in. They have a towel covering the pad and their thin blanket which they have turned into a little nest in there.

kooshballcalculator t1_j0w7mqi wrote

I use some version of the pet heating pads sold on Amazon for my outdoor boxes. The last one was made by Marunda. They are all around $25 and work great in the bottom of a medium pet carrier with a towel over the top to help insulate. I take the doors off of them.

If you are making cat beds without heating pads, I’d say to use straw for the bedding and one of those self heating mats with it. Even my indoor cats love those things.

Due_Guitar8964 t1_j0wa7xm wrote

I've heard of people putting a light bulb in something the size of those outdoor igloos. If it was placed at the top with a panel below it the light wouldn't bother the cats. It could be put on a timer,a thermostat or left on all the time. Cheap, easy, quick.

SMELCH82 t1_j0wbwbi wrote

We've had a 20w K&H (soft mat) for about 3 years, haven't had any problems so far.

Yourbubblestink t1_j0xg2jj wrote

I mean another question is do we really live in a world where people leave their pets out in the cold?

birddit t1_j0xhy3d wrote

If you'll read the comments so far it is kind hearted people trying to keep stray cats from freezing to death.