Submitted by Tris-Von-Q t3_zodw2n in BuyItForLife

He sent me an Amazon link for a pair of rando Chinese brand steel toe boots for $55, but I’d like to surprise him with something a bit nicer, sturdier, tried & true. Can any of you fine connoisseurs of bang-for-your-buck direct me toward a brand that’s a better investment for trade skill work? As a single mom, I don’t have a whole lot of money, but I can do a little better than $50-Amazon-cheapies that are going to stink and fall apart by next semester on him. He’s a good kid that doesn’t ask for much so I’d really like to exceed his expectation this Christmas.

Thanks for any help!

ETA: My budget is around $200. I would prefer to stay around $150, but if it’s worth it, I’ll pay a little more.

2ETA: I appreciate every single reply from those with the experience of knowing good work boots. I used every last recommendation here to guide my purchase. I ended up getting a pair of Wolverines in the style he likes. I’m so glad I posted here so that I didn’t pay $200 for a $50 boot! Again, thank you all so very much for schooling a single mom in the best work boot for our budget. I’m so grateful for this sub and everyone that participated.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Billypisschips t1_j0mprmq wrote

Working with masonry; stone, brick, and block, he will need steel toe caps and will be lucky to get 12 months wear with the amount of abuse they'll get. Timberland pro, Caterpillar, or Haix will at least give him a year (hopefully) of comfortable wear. Don't go cheap on his feet, but bear in mind you'll be buying another pair within a year.

Edit-cleaning the cement off at the end of the day will significantly increase their lifespan.

Tris-Von-Q OP t1_j0mqbsg wrote

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain what I’m investing in with regard to my lower budget. It means a lot.

Billypisschips t1_j0mxksx wrote

No worries. Hopefully by the time he needs another pair he'll have seen what works best for his colleagues.

cherlin t1_j0pvvrr wrote

Masonry eats boots so no sense going crazy expensive, but you also don't want to go crazy cheap. You can look at keen moctoe's (with a steel toe) in the $150-200 range that will be super comfortable and good quality, they will fail a little sooner than a nice pair of thoroughgood, but in this line of work everything will fail, and the keens will at least be immediately comfortable and not need a break in.

Western_Detective_84 t1_j0o3fjd wrote

Back when I was doing framing carpentry in eastern Oregon - it was the fine sand. It was a boot killer - penetrated everything - and sawed off the stitching.

Western_Detective_84 t1_j0ssc01 wrote

You know, I just came back to this, and I have to add: I described the eastern OR soil as fine sand. It wasn't sand-like at all. It was dust-like. Incredibly fine. It would stain my work socks.

Complete-Adagio-5375 t1_j0n977s wrote

Look for Wolverine boots and try to grab 2 pairs on sale. Wearing them every other day will allow the inside to dry and vastly extend the life of the boots. A good coat of waterproofing and sealer as well as regularly cleaning the boots is the best bet for longevity.

Working in masonry a cheaper boot and a very nice insole is probably the better way to go. Some jobs do t allow for things to last…

Constant_Note7339 t1_j0mmckr wrote

You guys are crazy suggesting Whites or Redwings for masonry work (and $150 budget). I’m hesitant to even suggest a Thorogoods. I love mine and they take a beating, but masonry is another level.

YoshiSan90 t1_j0na7yl wrote

Thorogoods are what I wear too. Outlasted the Wings.

migas324 t1_j0mf36l wrote

Go with him to Redwing and they'll help you out. If those are out of budget I like the timberland pros as well

YoshiSan90 t1_j0na49d wrote

I wear Thorogoods. They last for life. Union made in the US and when the sole wears out send them in for a refurb. I wore out a pair of redwings and wolverines a year. I'm on year 3 with these.

Em_Adespoton t1_j0mhk9x wrote

Just remember that in that line of work they’re going to take a thrashing.

I eventually kept my good workboots at home and kept buying Trek steel toe every few months. Unfortunately those don’t exist anymore.

riptorn99 t1_j0mn4xx wrote

Wolverines wear well not near as expensive. 8 in. boot.

scott81425 t1_j0moji9 wrote

I've regularly found timberland pros on Amazon warehouse deals for a great deal. They're pretty comfortable. Read the reviews on them, you may need to size down. I've worn a size 13 in every shoe over the past 25 years or so, but wear a 12 in timberland.

they_are_out_there t1_j0qhywj wrote

The most comfortable boots ever but I’ve never had a pair last longer than 3 years. They just come apart and the soles delaminate. I’ve had 3 pairs and they’ve all needed to be replaced after a year.

photobone t1_j0ni2z5 wrote

2nd for Thorogoods - most comfortable boot I've ever owned. And actually made in the USA.

Tris-Von-Q OP t1_j0nm579 wrote

The Thorogoods look so nice! But they were just a little outside of my budget this year.

After getting so many helpful and thoughtful replies to this post to guide my search, I ordered a pair of Wolverine 10 inch pull on boots (because that’s the style he likes). I plan to keep an eye on the wear and tear on the new boots after winter break once he starts his second semester.

With any luck, by next Christmas I may be able to save enough for a pair of Thorogoods. I really like that they’re a domestic product with what seems to be a great reputation and a solid following of skilled tradesmen and professionals that stand by the product.

That’s exactly what I was looking for when I posted here. I came for the recommend and got so much more—invaluable knowledge in work boots that are worth a damn to actual workers.

TooEarl4u t1_j0nzv2a wrote

What I learned in the Army is wear a different pair of boots every week. Buy 2 or 3 good pair. Break them in and rotate them weekly. I always took 2 pair to the field. I still do the same with sneakers today.

HumbleGaijin t1_j0mhhc6 wrote

Danner's. Particularly the models that can be 'recrafted'.

I purchased a pair almost six years ago and I'm having them recrafted because I wore out the sole. Leather is still in tip top shape.

Lowlife-Dog t1_j0mkmrm wrote

Redwings or wolverines. They will have to be replaced often most likely. Whatever you get.

faxmachine88 t1_j0nb3pg wrote

Go to ACE and get the white BOSS shrimper boots there. For concrete work those will last much longer than any sort of leather boot. 30 bucks

jennifererrors t1_j0npo06 wrote

Redwing for sure. Husbands had his 7 years and they are still in perfect condition. They manage to stay toasty in -60c too.

Edit for clarity: He oils them regularly, got the toe caps etc. Any brand will wear if not taken care of. Bonus, redwing will repair them free too.

Tris-Von-Q OP t1_j0nqdxm wrote

Can he learn the proper care and maintenance for good boots on YouTube?

jennifererrors t1_j0nv64n wrote

Yes! Redwing has a channel about it on youtube and then there are a few from tradesmen.

canigooutsidesoon t1_j0owlxd wrote

Get him a pair of Redwings or donethibg. Have him go and try them on beside buying them. There are specialty shops that sell safety clothing clothing and boots. I would suggest going to one of those so h3 can check different brands for fit. There us nothing worse than shoes that hurt your feet. Plus they can make recommendations give his trade. He will need new boots at least once a year even if he buys the best out there.

jonipop t1_j0prmpa wrote

If he’s done growing get a good pair they are a tool I’m a COM/ind electrician. I stick with USA made I have had a pair of JK boots and USA Chippewas and red wing for 15 years I rotate them depending on season and resole them. Each pair was expensive but average out the years there worth it!

Puzzleheaded-Rush986 t1_j0q97ri wrote

My husband loves these keen boots. They are wide and very comfortable. I have a pair myself of non steel toe. They are super comfy.

loudtoys t1_j0u3g8a wrote

Buy him timberland pro pit boss boots, I have bought a pair of these every year for the last 4 years. I work with chemicals and water on hard concrete floors, and metal grates. These boots hold up well, are comfortable, and run about $100. Masonry will kill his boots, like constant water and chemicals, so I would not suggest spending much more.

SloChild t1_j0mjice wrote

White's Boots are one of the best brands available. My father has been wearing his for over half a century, if memory serves me.

AutoModerator t1_j0mr4y4 wrote

Hello /u/Tris-Von-Q! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

HUMBLD t1_j0mv1b7 wrote

Steel blue are pretty good.

brownhotdogwater t1_j0nnt90 wrote

Cement dust and other motar is a bitch. Steel toe shoes that will last a year

mrmetalhands t1_j0qf3c5 wrote

A bit over the price range would be the Danner Quarry boots. Have had mine for 2 years of daily hard wear working as a machinist in a shipyard. Made is USA, Goretex, safety toe, and super comfortable. They have klarna so you can break up payments every two weeks if it’s a route you wanna go

EmilytheALtransGirl t1_j0xx2i5 wrote

Might I suggest Belleville 550ST's if you live in a warmer climate I'm not military but I have a pair that lasted me about 3 years of daily use and I only replaced because the sole was craking and the heel wore through there about 130( pre inflation) to 180

deathrow3c t1_j10mudn wrote

There are only two boots that will last in that industry, timberland pro and redwing. Both are very expensive, but worth it considering he will spend 10-14 hours a day wearing them. Tell him to put away $25/month for boots when he's working, generally guys in that and similar industries spend up to $100/month on their work clothes when you factor in good overalls, boots, glasses, gloves, jackets and winter overalls (if you live where it gets cold) and more if they buy their personal fall pro harness.