Submitted by Enough-Variation7509 t3_110v1j0 in BuyItForLife

I’m a chimney sweep, I constantly am rubbing against brick and fireplaces along with working in the rain and I want a jacket that I can beat without having to buy a new one every 1-2 years … looking at waxed jackets in particular but if there are other durable fabrics I’m open… budget is 400

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

grinabit t1_j8caeto wrote

Duluth firehouse jacket. Years worth of Carpenter work, hiking, and outdoor chores with little to no wear.

Gneissguy368 t1_j8dfrfi wrote

Quality has definitely gone done for duluth trading company products. I have some older fire hose pants and I recently bought a new pair and the new pair now look worse than the older pairs that I have. Also they don’t have a lifetime warranty anymore on their products.

grinabit t1_j8erxwu wrote

Dang, sorry to hear that. I have had nothing but luck with them.

F-21 t1_j8clkas wrote

> constantly am rubbing against brick and fireplaces

Cheapest/most generic one you can find cause not even heavy leather is going to withstand that for long.

I really like my Carhartt duck canvas jacket. It's holding up great.

MrR-YGuy t1_j8d20ao wrote

This is the best advice. For constantly rubbing against brick and fireplaces I wouldn’t spend too much on any jacket because they’re not going to stand up that long regardless.

ReferHvacGuy t1_j8cbl82 wrote

I like blaklader. My work provides company carhart and Dakota coats that fall apart that I have to wear, if I had to provide my own I’d wear my blacklader. I’ve had it 8 years and it looks new. But it’s not saying that much though because I don’t wear it daily to work anymore, I did for 3 years and that’s more than I can say for the other 2.

Titans95 t1_j8d5x9x wrote

1620 is probably the best high end workwear but honestly I like Carhartts duck cloth. It works great and you can get a jacket for a fraction of the price as 1620. I would advise against waxed jackets, they are a maintenance issue and while were practical back in the olden times, they are more now a novelty and stylish statement, not the most practical work wear material at all.

tmic2001 t1_j8gt4l8 wrote

I'll leave an odd one here, I have a RedHead Brand waterproof jacket for the past three years working now as a plumber and previously a loader moving concrete blocks all day. Years of crawling, scraping against things, moving blocks and chopping wood, you name it, I still haven't torn it. I've been impressed because I seriously didn't think it would last this long but it's my go to for crawling.

AutoModerator t1_j8b68zf wrote

Hello /u/Enough-Variation7509! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

ricardo9505 t1_j8bbu9x wrote

Carhartt. Quality, lasts long time. American made.

CamelHairy t1_j8bso45 wrote

Partially true. Only 10% is still made in the US, the rest out of the country. I had to order mine, even with my choice of insulation and shipping it still came out less $$ than if I purchased the Honduran made available locally.

Used all USA Clothing. https://allusaclothing.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAuaKfBhBtEiwAht6H797kXTf5Pu3lc5u9edTes22hl6urtWucdJ4dK2Ap8ADmW_H-rbv8nBoCa-UQAvD_BwE

Fruitndveg t1_j8cxnxe wrote

Just a side note, the Mexican and Honduran made Carhartt stuff is still extremely rugged. I’ve got we’ll over ten years on a Mexican made Carhartt jacket and the built quality is amazing. It’s mostly US materials too if that matters.

Carhartt stuff from the far east is a different story. It’s normally from the ‘WIP’ line which isn’t workwear, more lifestyle. This is where the confusion seems to stem from when people talk about drops in quality from Carhartt.

ricardo9505 t1_j8qahnc wrote

I will second this. I read about factory standards in Mexico (The Economist magazine) and they are in par with the USA. Issue being salaries and workers rights usually. But I would gladly pay more if it's made in the USA. I'm older and don't need 5 jackets. But from a business decision I get it, keep prices affordable.

Hallelujah289 t1_j94isgx wrote

Carhartt is said to have gone down in quality. And the problem is also they tend to sell at top dollar used too.

Maybe you can look at some military or fireman type generic coats. Or I’d suggest going to a Tractor Supply or Rural King store and seeing the off brand, generic Carhartt style coats there.

I also came across this brand Schmidt while thrifting that seemed very durable. Not sure it’s in business anymore.

Anyway if you want like a nylon jacket, cordura is a brand name fabric that luggage is made out of, as well as Jansport backpacks. I think it can probably be made into jackets.

5spd4wd t1_j8c1ca6 wrote

Carhartt

−1

[deleted] t1_j8c1jpz wrote

[deleted]

5spd4wd t1_j8c201w wrote

Every factory, steel mill, and manufacturing facility I've ever worked at the maintenance people wore Carhartt. Bib overalls and jackets. Also the loggers and stevedores. To thisday.