Submitted by JoebiWanKanobi t3_11enbso in BuyItForLife

I found AML from this sub, and was about to purchase a product, but decided to read their warranty first. Surprisingly, the lifetime warranty is not for the life of the purchaser, but rather the life of the tool. Furthermore it is non-transferable, and enforceable only at the brands discretion, and does not even cover normal wear and tear! I'm confused as to if this warranty covers anything at all?

"A.M. Leonard Inc. warrants its tools identified with a Lifetime Warranty description or Lifetime Warranty icon to be free from material or workmanship defects for the life of the tool. The warranty is provided to the original purchaser of the product. A.M. Leonard Inc. will replace a faulty tool or part, or will repair a faulty tool at its sole discretion. This warranty does not cover damage due to abuse, rust, mishandling, unauthorized repair or modifications, normal wear, extreme weathering, or UV degradation."

Just posting this for other people who may not be aware, and would also love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Update after getting some responses: I found the Federal Trade Commission says a warranty period not clearly defined is deceptive advertising. Thus, lifetime warranties need to clearly define a lifespan for their product. Chrysler has a lifetime warranty on their powertrains, and that lifetime is until the power train stops. So basically first time the powertrain stops working, warranty over (if they so choose). So that's interesting.

Comments