Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

commentsOnPizza t1_iysdd81 wrote

The YMCA in Central Square is probably your best bet. When the weather is good, Veterans Memorial Pool near the Charles River or Gold Star Pool near Inman are the places to go. Also, when the weather is good there are great places like Walden Pond or Upper Mystic Lake.

andr_wr t1_iytspba wrote

As a former competitive swimmer, I will warn that both the Cambridge and Somerville YMCAs have odd-ball 20-yard pools. If you are swimming in more of a competitive style, it's something to remember about how you'll be doing 1 extra flip turn for every 100 yards.

Fleur75 t1_iythhjh wrote

MIT is easy enough to get a membership if you know someone who went there (they just have to sign a form). The pools are the nicest around (better than Harvard’s). War Memorial is the public swim option for Cambridge residents but it has weird hours - so it either works for you or it doesn’t. The Central Square Y has a pool in the basement; I think it’s three lanes. It really isn’t a bad pool but it can be tough when it’s crowded

andr_wr t1_iysn70b wrote

https://www.cambridgema.gov/-/media/Files/DHSP/Recreation/programbrochures/warmemorialbrochure.pdf#page=18

The War Memorial is the city's public swimming facility. They have a 25 yard pool. The current (Fall 2022) schedule is found at the URL above. Looks like evening lap swims are what is available.

Near Porter Square is the Somerville pool. They also have a 25 yard pool. The current schedule is found at the URL below: https://somervillema.myrec.com/info/facilities/details.aspx?FacilityID=13622. Looks like morning lap swims are what is available.

Emergency-Face6614 t1_iysji7c wrote

You can get memberships or temp passes at the MIT pool

RickRollmyDMs OP t1_iyu7qez wrote

Thanks so much everyone!!! Can't wait to try these.

theWora t1_iysbv6o wrote

If you find some nearby, let me know. I also want to swim.

I know some people swim at some universities, like BU. Maybe Harvard or MIT have a pool?

MiaHavero t1_iyszakp wrote

Harvard has two pools but you have to be an affiliate (employee, student, etc.) or family member to get a membership. So not really public.

There is a public outdoor pool at Magazine Beach, although it's only open in warmer months for obvious reasons.

theWora t1_iyszi8t wrote

Darn, I was hoping to go swimming in that frozen outdoor pool hahaha.

I guess I gotta marry some lady affiliated to Harvard, dammit! All for the swimming. 🤣