Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Original_Dood t1_izxzjmy wrote

Marys was going downhill even before the pandemic started. It used to be incredible. MuLan is a block down the road and infinitely better. 5 spices house is also very good.

Moomoomoo1 t1_izy3riu wrote

Everyone on Reddit is now scrambling to make the same joke about a bank opening there

pelican_chorus t1_izzw1fz wrote

Oh jesus fucking christ, it's going to be another giant Bank of America ATM machine with Zoom calls, or whatever that fucking place is in Inman.

sourbirthdayprincess t1_j12yx71 wrote

Oh. you mean Not-Ryles? Not-Ryles is hands down my least favorite part of Inman Square. or any square.

pelican_chorus t1_j143sfa wrote

Entirely S&S's fault. They sold Ryles, and attached a rider saying the place couldn't be used for food or entertainment for 20(?) years. They didn't want competition.

Pykors t1_izyjv6r wrote

Sad to lose a place of local history. The lore I learned in grad school was that the software plan for the Apollo Guidance Computer was figured out at Mary Chung!

vengefultacos t1_j01oikv wrote

They have been in business for 40 years. The planning for the Apollo missions was done over 50 years ago.

HaddockBranzini-II t1_izxycdf wrote

My wife and I got to go from Mary's several months ago. They had the tables set up like a fort so you could only get into the door and no further to pick up your order. I asked if it was because of covid, but it was to keep the junkies out. They were always asking to use the bathroom (to shoot up).

Sad, we've been going there since we started dating many, many years ago. I still know the phone number by heart!

TheSausageKing t1_izyszrp wrote

I don't believe that's the reason. 5 Spice is next door and is a similar kind of restaurant and they're open for sit down. I've had lunch there a few times over the last month and had no issues.

HaddockBranzini-II t1_izyve9z wrote

They weren't closing because of junkies. They were building a fort of tables around the restroom because of the junkies.

blackdynomitesnewbag t1_izysmps wrote

The city isn’t doing a god damn thing about the junkies. It’s shameful

−1

Moomoomoo1 t1_j0a5wvi wrote

What do you think the city should do?

blackdynomitesnewbag t1_j0bjmne wrote

Have a strong housing first policy. Either single or dual room occupancy guaranteed for every unhoused person with no sobriety requirements.

SpyCats t1_izydjiu wrote

I went in there a couple of weeks ago and it definitely had an of an era feeling. Just takeout, the dining room was dark and closed up.

lawrencenathan t1_j01s7fc wrote

So sad… one of my favorites, but I only get there every few years as I now live out of town.

Thinking of a road trip to Mary’s before they close so I can have one last order of suans, but can someone confirm if they are indeed still only doing takeout?

asuds t1_j01l0lj wrote

Let’s do a go fund me to give a nice thank you retirement present in exchange for her recipes!

CriticalTransit t1_izy6epl wrote

Has the owner started blaming bike lanes yet? EDIT: That seems to be a common thing for business owners to do, even without any evidence. Not a comment on this particular business because I know nothing about them.

−27