Submitted by BrokenBlossom77 t3_10x4egx in CambridgeMA

Hey everyone! I (23F) am looking to find a new gym. Preferably somewhere with better equipment/more space than planet fitness (I currently go to the one in Porter square).

I’m starting to get frustrated with how crowded it is. I also don’t love the lack of barbells, squat racks, and other equipment.

I’m pretty open to most recs, but ideally I’d like something that’s walking distance from the Redline. Also something not as expensive as VIM (the closest gym near me).

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

wombatofevil t1_j7q89j1 wrote

I don't know how it compares to Planet Fitness, but the YMCA in Central Square is reasonably priced and has a good amount of free weights and a power lifting room, if that's your thing.

sprojokok123 t1_j7qitef wrote

Cambridge Athletic Club in the Kendall area. I’ve been a huge fan since I joined in august!

Scottgiovanni t1_j7qtvq8 wrote

How much is it a month? They don’t list prices on their website, which is always cause for concern

sprojokok123 t1_j817gez wrote

Sorry for the late reply! The flagship costs $99 a month and the Tech Square one is $74. That being said, I got a corporate discount and I think they might have similar style discounts if you ask!

Full-Penalty6971 t1_j7ts8zc wrote

Redline fight sports is a two minute walk from central station. They allow for open gym. They have free weights , squat rack, and barbells. The fighting classes are a great workout whether you do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, kickboxing, etc. First class is free if you want to give it a whirl / check out the space.

Denden798 t1_j7q6x5h wrote

VIM is crowded and expensive. But it’s the only option outside of planet fitness in porter

SpyCats t1_j7rddcj wrote

I love VIm, but I only go at 6am when it’s not crowded.

neversawthematrix t1_j7rfxa0 wrote

I go to VIM and think its pretty reasonably priced and not too crowded tbh. I also go at ~6:30am though

eipi-10 t1_j8h0qhp wrote

I go around 8am and it's not too bad -- never any waits for racks or anything

SheeEttin t1_j7qonjc wrote

I used to go to Evolve Fitness a few years ago. I'd search the subreddit for previous posts.

bostonguy2004 t1_j7urw7t wrote

LifeTime near Assembly is phenomenal and has free classes, separate saunas in each of the locker rooms and huge indoor pool.