Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

se_coupe t1_j5l46kq wrote

I've seen this in the listing of showtimes and applaud their inclusivity.

I also really like that theatre because of all the advance ordering you can do – tickets, seats, and even food. I will mention that the concessions counter is usually delayed/backed up by several minutes so keep that in mind when selecting a pickup time.

tunicsandleggimgs15 OP t1_j5l8ne5 wrote

Just FYI. Most people who go to open caption screenings don't have hearing loss. So it isn't really just about inclusivity anymore.

misskinky t1_j5nh84w wrote

It’s totally about inclusivity - including people with no hearing, including people with hearing loss, including people with perfect hearing who prefer captions

MatyBoh t1_j5mer0l wrote

If you have a group of 10 or more you can also request additional Open Caption screenings on the AMC website: https://www.amctheatres.com/open-caption. A friend of ours recently made the request and got an OC showing of avatar added at the AMC Columbia 14.

Elkram t1_j5lqabg wrote

I'm pretty sure theaters are required to have CC for all screenings if requested to comply with the ADA. Maybe not all theaters, but if they have this service then they have it all the time, not just for the listed time.

I'm glad they have one that's explicitly CC, but if you request it, they are required to give it to you. Only caveat being that they only need to carry at most 16 CC devices, so if everyone requests CC and doesn't need it, then you are taking away that device from someone who potentially does.

This is more likely why they have the specifically CC'd screening, so that they don't have to run into issues of running out of CC devices while still offering CC to those that need it.

misskinky t1_j5nhard wrote

Yeah, see how the post is titled open captions? All theaters have to have closed captions with devices but rarely do any have open on-screen captions

tunicsandleggimgs15 OP t1_j5lvqdh wrote

The devices are required. The open captions (oc not cc) are not required but are often the preferred option by customers who want or need oc.

shiv81 t1_j5m8l97 wrote

I wish AMC would upgrade the seating to recliners. Only the Dolby theater has the upgrade. Meanwhile both Regal on Snowden River and Cinemark at Arundel Mills have all reclining theaters. Got spoiled by those and only go to AMC now when I feel like splurging for Dolby Cinema.

Neracca t1_j5scakw wrote

What are their seats like now? I haven't been in awhile, do they still use those shitty stadium seats or have they gotten with the program and gotten the recliners?

tunicsandleggimgs15 OP t1_j5sw4lc wrote

Don't know because I'm a national advocate (for more on open captions see r/opencaptions). Would be happy if our local independent theater just had decent seats never mind stadium.