Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

adam_west_ t1_j5uak55 wrote

If you get down to New Britain try Alvarium or Five Churches. Not sure if they fill growlers but they do sell beer to go.

sharkcathedral t1_j5v164r wrote

Alvarium recently came out with an insane one called Honey Shot. dunno if they have it on tap or just cans but is worth a try!

Ice1789 t1_j5vmeu9 wrote

Honey shot has been their staple since they opened 😅

sharkcathedral t1_j5vodwr wrote

HA! Never seen it before near the shore but always loved their stuff! Had no idea it was an all the time thing. I was worried it was seasonal or something. Been looking forward to visiting the brewery!

Ice1789 t1_j5vwlnx wrote

It's that one Crunchy Roll and Phresh that have been the main stay since the beginning

sporky211 t1_j5v26a6 wrote

I had a post on here a few months back asking about the best craft beer and was delighted to try Alvarium, it might be one of the best In all of New England but isn’t recognized as much as other breweries

0cclumency t1_j5wfb28 wrote

Alvarium is fantastic. Every beer I’ve had from them has been great. I also really like their hard seltzers, they’re probably the best I’ve tried.

adam_west_ t1_j5v2uvu wrote

Agree. It’s a high quality product that is a bit overlooked … but I see it more and more in local shops , so I hope they continue to prosper!

ValuableNorth7868 t1_j5v50tc wrote

Both good choices. Alvarium sometimes gets food trucks in the parking lot and 5 churches has a more NY feeling interior with wood burning pizza oven

don3569 t1_j5uagxw wrote

I like Firefly Hollow in Bristol. They have good selections and a relaxed taproom.

Not too far from FV. They have 32oz and 64 oz growler refills listed.

Darondo t1_j5unrbf wrote

Legitimus is right on 44 in New Hartford. Nice people and good beer. Big selection.

[deleted] t1_j5veiv0 wrote

[deleted]

Reyna_25 t1_j63d34k wrote

Yas!!!

Our honey is used in one batch of Hopiary every year.

Lesh326 t1_j5v0w18 wrote

Back East

Hopmeadow Brewing

Legitimus

Hog River

New Park

Nor Brook

Hooker

Relic

Firefly Hollow

Witch Doctor

Kinsmen

Maple View Farm

Ice1789 t1_j5u84d2 wrote

Back East

Hooker

I don't usually recommend CR Valley because they are a bunch of scum bags but that's in south windsor and make very good sours

Reyna_25 t1_j63dgo2 wrote

CT Valley. I call them the Applebee's of craft breweries. Imo, there are far better sours out there. I hate that they are the only brewery in my town. I pretend they don't exist and consider Paddle Creek my hometown brewery instead (and I'm very close to East Hartford Brewers).

Paddle Creek is highly underrated.

Ice1789 t1_j63oa48 wrote

Personally I prefer 2Roads sours especially from Area 2 but OP was looking for something close and that is definitely not lol.

I'm shocked those guys weren't shut down already after everything that came out about their ownership last year

Reyna_25 t1_j646tg5 wrote

They are a big money family, plus, that's where the Applebee's comparison comes in, inexplicably popular despite being mediocre in every way. Plus, the average person has no idea about any of that. I know because I mention it all the time and no one knows what I'm talking about and we live here! It's always busy there. And non beer snobs love those smoothie things.

As far as sours, depends on what I'm looking for. An easy drinker, the New Park Blenders, something more funky, OEC or Fox Farm (though New Park does make some solid bottled sours too). I still haven't made it to Area2, but from what I've heard I'll be a fan.

takomkaradeku t1_j5ull19 wrote

Charter oak in danbury

KosmikDonut t1_j5wwyhb wrote

Long time Charter Oak fan. :-)

The owners are very cool people and usually around during taproom hours.

MustIRage t1_j5v52ne wrote

Reverie in Newtown is great if you’re ever out that way

jacksparrahh t1_j5v9dhi wrote

Joes filling station in Cromwell! Great place come see him. He has an excellent assortment of craft beers on draft and growlers available for purchase. You can fill with whatever draft you want. He often has beer from amazing breweries that don’t have tap rooms like Lost Tourist

SeagullsGonnaCome t1_j5vc8wb wrote

Plenty of people gave great suggestions, but you should go to the "small state great beer" festival this summer/fall!

Zorro6855 t1_j5vmjg7 wrote

Cambridge Brew Pub in Granby

ChodyMcChoderson t1_j5voh3y wrote

Since we’re on the topic, any recommendations for a good growler?

CaitSings t1_j5vtqu7 wrote

Check out the CT Beer Trail App!

tallipoli t1_j5w6s14 wrote

Kent Falls is the best IMFO. New Park is pretty good. So is Fox Farms. Legitimus too.

Reyna_25 t1_j63cmhi wrote

First, all the breweries fill growlers. But my vote closish to the area you are looking for would be Alvarium and New Park.

Reyna_25 t1_j63czcr wrote

I dunno, last time I went that placed was PACKED. It's always mentioned in any 'best of' threads I see. And well deserved.

I'm always surprised how many people still have never heard of New Park. Whenever I mention it someone is always like, 'where's that?' And I'll be like 😳.

curbthemeplays t1_j69vokl wrote

Up there, New Park.

Counterweight is in Cheshire now, so not far.

Fox Farm is worth a drive. Best in CT IMO.

12% isn’t far from you either, and is excellent.

Tribus, East Rock, Kent Falls, NEBCO, Armada, Beeracks, Nod Hill, Berlinetta just a few others worth a visit. Two Roads has some really solid brews too.