Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sti-wrx t1_jdqxusp wrote

I’m an electrician by trade, here’s what you need.

https://www.gescan.com/products/15-enclosures-boxes/01-box-hardware-accessories/10-rings-extenders/p-QVJMQkUx-arlington-industries-1-gang-1-12-inch-electrical-box-extender-white

This separates your energized outlet from the cabinet walls. You may need longer 6/32 screws to reach your metal electrical box in behind.

Frequently used for microwave plugs/appliance plugs inside cabinetry. Good luck!

I_Am_Penguini t1_jdri2uv wrote

So the hot box in the wall is normal and the faceplate is extended with this device?

sti-wrx t1_jdrmcm0 wrote

Yes. Install the electrical box flush with the drywall/whatever is behind the cabinet. Pull wires out and slip the extension ring on before installing your receptacle. Your plug now sits flush on the inside of your cabinet.

mattborn77 OP t1_jdtcfl0 wrote

This worked great! Home Depot had the extension piece and it’s nice and snug.

jetty_junkie t1_jdqumh4 wrote

That looks like cat 5 in the picture . Is that all its for?

mattborn77 OP t1_jdqx6wo wrote

No that’s temporary, those low voltage will go somewhere else. This will be where a normal 120v outlet goes.

Grim-Sleeper t1_jdsbtgm wrote

Spend $50 and buy yourself an oscillating tool. Those cuts look atrocious. You can do much better with the right tools

−1

imnotsoho t1_jdr1evr wrote

Do you have your high voltage wires in place, what are you going to use the plug for? You might want to cut that hole in the cabinet bigger, install outlet in sheetrock, and use foam to isolate the behind the cabinet area.

This must be for a garbage disposal or water heater? If you want the plug for something outside the cabinet, do you have room to put it at the end of the cabinet facing out?

−8

robosmrf t1_jdrqiay wrote

Foam what? No.

imnotsoho t1_je4175g wrote

No, not the electrical box. I am imagining a larger hole so he can cut a hole for the box in the sheetrock. Rather than just leaving the gap between the cabinet back and the wall open for critters and bugs seal that 1 inch space. The hole is already too big to have an outlet cover with extension cover it.

ailee43 t1_jds5uv4 wrote

An old work box will latch into the cabinet if you don't want to do a box extender.

Either one will have to be removed if you replace the cabs

−1

Breadtrickery t1_jdsuedg wrote

I just had the same thing with cabinets this week. I ended up ripping 2x2 blocks, nailed a new work box into one side and framed all the way around. Screw the frame with box into the cabinet back, so the box sticks out, then used 1/2" birch plywood cutout to make it the same material as the cabinet.

−1

bassboat1 t1_jdrad9p wrote

Use a steel old work box and screw the mounting ears to the plywood cabinet back with two #4 wood screws (placed diagonally).

−6