Submitted by maxnpj t3_1270emc in DIY

I believe I have a Moen Chateau Chrome Posi-Temp; with posi-temp cartridge 1222.

Lately I've had to turn the handle to the shower further over to get hot water. Every other point in the house where you can get hot water, the handle position has not changed. I'm guessing the shower valve is to blame here. I've looked at videos on how to adjust the "gear" behind the handle but that just lets me move the handle further CCW. I mean, yes, that gets me hotter water, but that doesn't seem like the right way to fix this. Is it possible that this posi-temp valve is going bad?
FWIW - have a whole-house water conditioner (softener); so I don't think this is any kind of mineral build-up problem.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JerseyWiseguy t1_jebwer1 wrote

Could be that the valve cartridge is going bad; that seems like the most-likely cause. But, no way to really know for certain, unless you actually replace it.

maxnpj OP t1_jebx48q wrote

u/JerseyWiseguy Thanks for the quick reply. What I was really looking for here was somebody to at least agree that I was on track. I know I will actually have to replace the valve to know for sure but I wanted to post here and see if somebody said something like "no way it's the valve, the dinglehopper is yer problem here"

Thin-Concern3387 t1_jeeqqkc wrote

Just chiming in to say I had a very similar issue and my fix was buying a new cartridge and changing out the old one which had gotten lots of hard water scales. Old cartridge was a two piece Pfister and replaced it with a newer one and it completely fixed the hot water issue. I unfortunately had to do some tile cutting behind the cover plate to be able to pull out the old cartridge but easy DIY

boodyseeker0327 t1_jecuf33 wrote

The valve and the valve cartridge should be different, the cartridge sits in the valve and should be removable most likely after the handle is removed. You can start at the cartridge like u/jerseywiseguy said and if that doesn’t fix it then move on to bigger things like the valve. Make sure you shut your water off to the house before removing that cartridge and replacing.