Submitted by TylerIlGenio t3_zpw7tb in DIY

When it gets below freezing, every single window in my house will have a puddle on the window sill. Now I know that normally means that the seal around the window is damaged/broken. But it can't mean that every single window in my house has a bad seal, right?!

If they really are broken, what are some easy or quick fixes I can do to prevent the puddles? What can I do to confirm the seal is broken?

It's about to get really cold here for over a week and I need some sort of remedy. Thanks in advance!

​

Context: Live in north Texas, Keeps house around 68 degrees, house is 20 years old and I assume the windows are the original ones

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gjs520820 t1_j0uw2eo wrote

Assuming you have double pane windows, the humidity inside your house is too high.

TylerIlGenio OP t1_j0vh8v1 wrote

Using the electronic humidity gauge from my cigar box, by the windows it shows 55%. Is that a lot? I only see the condensation in the mornings, so could it be drastically different at night?

domdanial t1_j0vpo2g wrote

55% is about 5% higher than the recommended maximum, the first website I checked says 30% to 50% is recommended. The windows are probably coldest in the mornings.

ToolMeister t1_j0wuzyj wrote

The dew point of 68F air at 55% rel. humidity is 51 F.

I.e. if your windows (and the air touching the glass) hit 51 degrees F, condensation will form. Try to lower the humidity in your house.

Psychosammie t1_j0uzbg7 wrote

Humidity too high, double pane but not the best ones.

pinguemcecidero t1_j0uxf3x wrote

There are several remedies for this. It's not your seal. As another commenter said it's humidity inside. Open your windows for a little bit in the morning (like 10 minutes), you can put bowls of salt on the sills (never done this but apparently it helps), you can get moisture absorption beads. When I lived in England where this is very common in the winter, I just had a towel and dried them every day. It's not a huge deal, especially if it's only for a week.

[deleted] t1_j0uz22a wrote

there is the saying "everything is bigger in texas", and that generally can extend to the size of someone's house, height of ceilings etc in many cases. this means that while wiping all the windows daily might be an effective fix for a small to medium sized home or apartment, it could be a big hassle for a family home.

personally, my solution has always been either opening the place up briefly like you said, or a big honking dehumidifier that can hold a few gallons of water, so you only have to empty it out occasionally.

woodmanalejandro t1_j0v24tc wrote

run a dehumidifier and/or use DampRid near your windows

Alan8564 t1_j0vjmg0 wrote

As outdoor temperatures drop, you need to adjust your indoor humidity down in relation to how cold the outdoor temp is but not below 30%. 50% is optimum for health but as temps get colder, it OK for humans and wood inside your home to go no lower than 30%.

fordman84 t1_j0wcvk2 wrote

had to check I hadn't written this in my sleep, I check all those same boxes and have this same issue. I also have a lot of allergies and sinus issues so dropping humidity to 30% isn't an option, we actually run humidifiers in the winter to increase. I just use towels on the window sills on the days it is really cold outside. Figure that is cheaper than the $45k for new windows.

Top_Midnight_2225 t1_j0v13vq wrote

First thing I did is reduced the humidity being pumped into the air. Soon as I did that, all the humidity disappeared.

TylerIlGenio OP t1_j0vidvr wrote

how did you do that? Is there some attachment you can put on your ac/heater?

Top_Midnight_2225 t1_j0vyo9c wrote

I have a humidifier that's connected to the furnace. I can set it first to 'Summer' or 'Winter' setting, and then have another one that indicates % humidity to pump.

TownAfterTown t1_j0vdfdk wrote

Building on what others have said regarding high indoor humidity being the cause. Some other things you can do:

Make sure there is good airflow to the windows. During the day open curtains or blinds, move obstacles that might block airflow (like a big couch in front of the window), take off screens if they're on the inside. All of this will help get warmer air to the windows to dry them. (Mine get some condensation overnight, but then dry during the day).

Make sure you're getting enough fresh air in (in the winter, this fresh air will also be dry air). Ideally through an HRV, but if not, run your exhaust fans for a while to draw some in.

As others mentioned, if it persists and this stuff doesn't help, try a dehumidifier.

just-_-just t1_j0w8oni wrote

Just throwing a practical suggestion or two, crack a windows when showering and turn on the vent hood or open a window when cooking. Should help a little.

WestCoastSurfGod t1_j0wyvqn wrote

Run a dehumidifier. It will drop the humidity substantially while releasing heat as a byproduct of the process.

jackson71 t1_j0vh8bk wrote

Get a Hygrometer. Winter humidity may hover around the 40% mark. Anything greater than this can lead to condensation issues within your home. Do you have exhaust fans in bathrooms?