Submitted by ImitationFire t3_ztyts3 in DIY

Like the title says I’ve got a hot water pipe in my attic that keeps freezing. It’s got insulation around it. The cold water pipe doesn’t freeze. How do I stop this pipe from freezing? Is the only solution to keep it dripping constantly?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Adam2013 t1_j1g5wg0 wrote

The cold water may be getting used more often than the hot.

Stagnant water freezes much quicker in pipes as fresh water carries heat energy with it.

Try leaving a tap on hot just barely on a trickle.

cbryancu t1_j1ghbp9 wrote

There is a foil bubble wrap insulation made for HVAC primarily, but if you remove insulation from around your pipes and the cover the pipe with the foil bubble wrap, then put back your insulation on top of bubble wrap, it should stop that freezing from happening.

Big issue when water pipes are in unconditional spaces is getting covered all around with insulation. You want the pipe to conditioned space with no insulation, and then heavy insulation between pipes and unconditional space.

Don't remove vapor barrier from ceiling or place some plastic on top of ceiling before everything else.

And putting heat wires/tape on pipes under insulation is a horrible idea. Heat wire should be accessible and regularly inspected. If it's under insulation and shorts, you will have a bad situation.

the_ab t1_j1k1508 wrote

What combined r value would you suggest? I realize it may be dependent on temperature but I have a similar situation with city water entering the house via an unconditioned garage/attic which freezes.

No_Bass_9328 t1_j1g9cxe wrote

Heat tracing wire wrap. Amazon, Lowes, Home Despot. You will need power source though.

Flash635 t1_j1gp9kp wrote

Run resistance heater wire around the pipe then insulate that. Power the wire with a small solar panel.

Experiment to see if you need to add a battery.

rpitchford t1_j1g4ytf wrote

The pipes to one of my water heaters was installed backwards. I wonder if that is what you have also?

lollroller t1_j1ha5zn wrote

How is your attic below freezing temperature? Is it completely sealed off from the rest of your house? Do something to allow air from the conditioned spaces to warm your attic a bit