Submitted by Synicasm t3_10p84ne in DIY

So I need to switch the split on this setup under my kitchen sink . The split is on the cold water supply and it needs to be in the hot water supply for my dishwasher. As a person who has never messed with PEX and crimping etc would it be better to just hack off the supply lines and install 1 shark bite valve on the cold and a 2 outlet shark bite valve in the hot ? Or is it better to buy the crimping tools, cut the supply lines before the valves / tee and reattached them correctly with a crimp tool. ? Images for reference https://ibb.co/d2ywy5W https://ibb.co/JR16LPW

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BullOak t1_j6ixexf wrote

You can mess with the PEX if you want but the easiest way is just to buy a threaded brass T for the hot side and close/cap the appropriate valve on the cold side. Unless the valves are trash you don't even need to turn the main off.

Synicasm OP t1_j6j1ui7 wrote

Another Great solution, thank you for this.

tazmoffatt t1_j6jiy9d wrote

Don’t even touch the PEX pipe…. Just use this fitting . I use these all the time. They will screw onto your shut off and tee from there. Then you can get a 3/8 brass compression cap for your unused shut off on the cold

bms42 t1_j6itt6p wrote

You have PEX coming out of the wall so you're not putting sharkbites on that. You either have to buy, rent or borrow the PEX tools necessary to do this. If you think you'll do more of your own plumbing then buying is a good option. PEX is very easy to do as long as you remember to check every crimp with the provided tester.

If you DIY then all you have to do here is snip the lines coming out of the wall about halfway between the wall and the first fitting, them swap the two assemblies (hot to cold and vice versa), then use a PEX straight coupling to reattach. It's literally a 4 crimp, 5 minute operation.

Note that you must turn off the water main to do this.

Edit: ok you could use sharkbites but please don't. They're terrible IMO.

−3

corytheidiot t1_j6iuqms wrote

Might I ask why you say no to sharkbite fittings?

bms42 t1_j6iytez wrote

Personally I think sharkbites are terrible, but technically it's doable.

someoldguyon_reddit t1_j6ixh7l wrote

PEX isn't rigid enough for the sharkbite to hold securely.

−6

corytheidiot t1_j6jqei3 wrote

But the fittings are sold specifically stating PEX compatibility. I personally use them for repairs.

FistyMcTavish t1_j6kcifj wrote

My plumber buddy said the same as the guy above they work for a patch in a pinch but he would never use them for a job

I did use them for a repair since buying the crimp tool to fix that section wasn't worth it and have had no issues

corytheidiot t1_j6kd643 wrote

I understand not using them professionally. It would get real expensive real fast.

FistyMcTavish t1_j6kdkrk wrote

Yeah but it wasn't the cost, he doesn't trust them to last as well as crimping them

Synicasm OP t1_j6iuq4c wrote

Great I hadn't though of just snipping the lines and added a straight coupling.

Thanks for the advice !