Submitted by themisfit610 t3_10i8med in DIY

Hello!

I've got a few old flourescent tube ballasts in my garage, and one of them I've converted to LED no problem with direct placement LED tubes from Feit Electric.

Others (some of which are a different model and some are the EXACT SAME model) flicker no matter what. I can take tubes that flicker in these ballasts and swap them with the stable one and they're fine there...

So I'm confident the tubes are fine, and am suspecting either a specific circuit or the ballasts somehow.

How can I diagnose this?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Goh0 t1_j5czr7a wrote

While you can leave the ballast in, I think its recommended to remove them if you are capable.

go_comatose_for_me t1_j5czs0k wrote

I thought you were supposed to just cut out the ballasts when switching to LED? I'm sure someone will correct me.

Kenitzka t1_j5d4u5a wrote

Some replacements can work on either ballasts or directly wired (but only one or the other—once energized, they can’t be swapped)

My experience has been that the light was brighter without the ballast.

redtoasteroven t1_j5dlkce wrote

Thats because by very definition a ballast is current limiting.

Natural-You4322 t1_j5ddoxu wrote

Remove the ballast. Led just spoil very fast with the ballast. Also, make sure there is no dimmer switch

Youper0 t1_j5f6nxp wrote

Ballasts can go bad* - if you have the expertise just get the direct wire replacement.