Submitted by ireallycantremember t3_11dok2j in DIY

I live in a new construction apartment. It took me a LONG time to figure out that ALL the drywall in the entire apartment is 5/8" thick and needed special anchors to hang anything from the walls.

Now I'd like to hang a swing chair in my kid's room, and I keep failing. I've located the stud, used the correct mounting hardware, and it still falls out. I have multiple tiny little holes in the ceiling searching for the wooden stud, even though I used a stud finder AND a magnet and I know what I'm doing. Eventually, I just cut out a section of the drywall only to realize it's attached to metal.

Argh. Its so weird, because I have two floors, and I was able to crack open a vent to see on the 3rd floor there is wood, but its definitely not wood on the second floor.

I have 3/8" toggle bolts, and I was thinking about attaching a 2x4 to the ceiling using the toggle bolts, and then attaching the swing to the 2x4. (the swing has one attachment point, its more of a chair.)

I've tried researching how to do this, but i'm not coming up with any answers. Help please.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Guygan t1_ja9y2xa wrote

The quick answer is “you don’t”.

The metal studs may be holding up the drywall on the ceiling but they are not the structural members holding the ceiling, floor, or roof.

If you’re renting, then ask your landlord if you are even allowed to do this. If you own the unit then ask your building superintendent or the building board.

ireallycantremember OP t1_ja9zymq wrote

I'm renting... but every time I've asked questions, they just shrug and say they don't know.

I've lived here for almost 4 years, and they do yearly inspections. I've never been questioned on anything in the past.

I asked a builder about this, and he said used toggles, but I didn't trust that which is why I asked here.

−2

Guygan t1_jaa1z0z wrote

You absolutely can't hang anything from metal studs. You need to hang it from the structural part of the ceiling/floor that's somewhere above them.

ireallycantremember OP t1_jaa8iu8 wrote

Gotcha. This is why I stopped before I really got started. I didn’t think it would work, and I tried researching it online but came up empty. I did see a cross section of different joists, and thought “umm, I don’t think that will hold.”

Slartibartfastthe2nd t1_jaat7wk wrote

You need to change plans/direction and just get or build a stand.

ireallycantremember OP t1_jaaxcw0 wrote

Thanks for offering a real solution. I appreciate it.

The chair is actually a therapy “swing” recommend by my kid’s therapist. We have a door jam gym that works for now, but they’re getting big for the area so I was hoping to install somewhere else. I don’t want to give up that much real estate for an appropriate freestanding mount.

I have a few ideas on how I can install it, I just need to research load limits.

FellowConspirator t1_jaa5wc0 wrote

You don’t hang anything from them. You need to make an attachment to the beams above the ceiling. Given that there will likely need some bracing, you’re probably squarely in the category of having your landlord to hire someone to do it as it’ll involve opening the ceiling and making some reinforcements for the added load, which will likely need a permit and inspection.

[deleted] t1_jaa7gus wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_jaa877d wrote

[removed]

−3

[deleted] t1_jaa99ic wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_jaaa4u3 wrote

[removed]

−3

[deleted] t1_jaaat59 wrote

[removed]

luthiz t1_ja9ye6h wrote

Cut a rectangle of drywall out of the ceiling and a 2x6 behind the drywall, secured to the framing in multiple locations, and positioned to carry your swing attachment. Then, put the ceiling back together, patch the drywall, paint it, and put the swing up.

Edit: Nevermind that. Don't cut holes in rental property walls.

−2

romaraahallow t1_jaaj5iu wrote

This is less than good advice.

Dudes renting.

luthiz t1_jaaqi36 wrote

If he is renting, he already cut a hole in the drywall...

romaraahallow t1_jab1wmw wrote

Further points against him doing any modifications.

Read around this thread. Dude is Renting.

luthiz t1_jab8ct0 wrote

Oof. Nevermind that shit. Time to patch it up and return the swing.