Submitted by ITS_GOOD_FOR_YOU t3_11e7rsk in DIY

Our kitchen has some "farmhouse style" beadboard installed and we thoroughly enjoy the look of it! However, whenever we hang something I can never seem to patch the holes well enough to make it appear like there was never a hole (see Image 1 below).

I've used spackling in the past and touched up with a bit of paint but it looked rough so we've just been hiding my poor patchwork with an oversized clock (lol) but we've now installed a shelf and would love to make those patches look a bit better.

Any special techniques I can employ to improve my patching skills on this beadboard?

Thanks in advance, r/DIY!

Image 1 - patched holes on the left, new hole looking to be patched on the right

Image 2 - crown moulding above makes it difficult to just replace the panel

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Buddha1812 t1_jade9lc wrote

counter sink the holes a bit also - the screw will have pulled the edge of the hole out a bit and this will cause the repair to sit proud of the surface- Same trick works for drywall holes-

kitten0077 t1_jacxq0g wrote

You can't just touch up the single spot with paint even after using a filler.

A hole the size of a pencil eraser will have a patch at least 6 inches across.

After filling and drying, sand the whole area using progressively finer papers until it is very smooth. Paint all of the sanded area and blend it by using BobRoss's technique of tiny x's.

openminded74 t1_jaeymro wrote

I like to use bondo to fill in damaged wood and then just sand it very good and I've had great luck with it. I just recently fixed a hole in a hollow core door from the stopper. It turned out great.

joshdoodle t1_jact4qk wrote

Try Durham’s water putty. It won’t shrink, dries rock hard, and will sand smooth as glass. Try a finer grit of sandpaper, such as 220.

joshdoodle t1_jact74l wrote

Try Durham’s water putty. It won’t shrink, dries rock hard, and will sand smooth as glass. Try a finer grit of sandpaper, such as 220.

[deleted] t1_jad1mc9 wrote

[deleted]

JMJimmy t1_jaf3kxm wrote

That contracts over time, not a good solution

nightshade00013 t1_jadgqdb wrote

Sand down the area first to knock the raised edges around the hole away as that is part of what makes it so visible.

Fill in the hole completely. Caulk, sheetrock compound (spackle is basically the same), or wood filler putty will all work. Once dried sand it smooth and fill in again if needed.

Let dry for 24 hours before painting and if you still see a dark area where the hole was after the paint dries for a couple hours add another coat. You may still see the touched up area however if the walls are dirty, the paint has been worn, someone had smoked in the room, the walls are exposed to direct sunlight, along other things. If that is the case wipe down the area around the repair and see if that will help. If not plan to repaint the wall if it is too much of an issue.

Honestly the best thing to do is not put holes in the wall to begin with or do so sparingly and reuse those holes for other stuff.

JMJimmy t1_jaf3wa2 wrote

Wood filler like ProBond. Over fill it, shape it/sand it, paint