Submitted by Drachenlol2 t3_11df61w in DIY

I want to attach 2 eyelets to my ceiling. I want to attach rings to them so that I can do pull-ups and the like on them. The house was built at the beginning of the 20th century, so the ceiling is lined with straw and can not withstand this load. However, there is also a steel beam (double T shape) running along the ceiling. My idea is to drill holes in the steel beam and fix dowels in the holes. The problem is that although the steel beam protrudes from the ceiling, it is covered with stucco on both sides (see photo), which I don't want to damage. My question: Is there a safe option to fasten the dowels in the steel beam without damaging the stucco?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ilikeawesome t1_ja9lsfi wrote

While you can generally drill holes in a structural beam you have to be sure of their size and placement in the beam. I'd be worried about that plaster on the roof containing asbestos. Also I don't imagine any nice way to disturb it without it looking bad.

OkPhotograph3603 t1_ja8wma6 wrote

I am going to assume that the beam is a structural component of the house.

If my assumption is correct, and really, why would it be made of steel if it was not, then why would you want to weaken it by drilling into it?

I would look for another way to do pullups.

minesskiier t1_ja99hve wrote

Drilling a hole in a steel beam (or wooden beam for that matter) in the right spot will not effect the strength of the beam. That said, OP should not drill through this one.