Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

The-Soldier-in-White t1_jazfdhh wrote

I think that's desert rose (adenium)

sebikern_photography OP t1_jazro3m wrote

Yeah, you are right. After a quick google search I am pretty sure it is adenium socotranum (endimic to Socotra). Everybody there calls these plants bottle trees, which isn't quite correct. Thanks for the reminder, to me those plants would still be called bottle trees.

pppjurac t1_jazciw8 wrote

Servus Nachbar

Is this recent photo or from few years back? Curious for Socotra beeing out of easy access due to covid and war across sea.

sebikern_photography OP t1_jazs5v6 wrote

Na Servus!

I visited Soctra last week, so pretty recent :) The island is only accessable if you use local tourism partners. I traveld with a photography focused group (Photopills, a spanish company). They, together with the local partner, handled everything, from visa to flight bookings to campsite management and cooking. On the island I felt totally save, no weapons around, no signs of war.

Durango_bob t1_jb3ehgi wrote

Very nice! I have an Adenium socotranum, but is only a couple years old and still very small. They are notoriously slow-growing. I would love to visit Socotra someday.

sebikern_photography OP t1_jb3y5jt wrote

A lovely plant indeed! If you want to visit socotra, do it fast. The island is getting trashed by all the tourists.

adapt2 t1_jb39qqg wrote

What is the scale here? How big is that tree? How far away was the picture taken from?

sebikern_photography OP t1_jb3y9kd wrote

The blooming tree is roughly 2m high. Taken with a 15mm lens roughly 1.5m away from the first tree.

AutoModerator t1_jazbczl wrote

Hi sebikern_photography! Dont worry, this message does not mean that your post is removed. This is a reminder to quickly check your post to make sure it doesnt break any of our rules. Human moderators check the following --

Thanks!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.