Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SpoutsIgnorance t1_jbhelqx wrote

I miss Hawaii and I’m a fat guy who hates humidity

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbhermm wrote

I lived on Maui for over 12 years. I miss Hawaii as well.

SpoutsIgnorance t1_jbhewum wrote

Wife and I did the road to Hana one year and it was magical. It was off season and the experience was magical

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbhf4co wrote

I’m glad you got to enjoy that. Hana is crazy beautiful.

SpoutsIgnorance t1_jbhfgtk wrote

We hope to return soon. We’re in Los Angeles so Hawaii is awesome in terms of accessibility. These days the shorter the flight the better for me. Still not sure how we got through the flights to EU

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbhfmjh wrote

Yeah Hawaii flights are usually 5 hours there. With a good tail wind I’ve made it in 4.5, but usually 5.5-6 hours back. Either way worth it. Hawaii is one of the gems out there

SpoutsIgnorance t1_jbhfwva wrote

Totally, as a SoCal resident it’s a gem. In terms of flying, there’s not a ton of short distance flight destinations that aren’t international. At this point I’ve experienced all the options and Hawaii always delivers whether it’s a hotel experience or a home rental.

AmmoClips t1_jbhgtqw wrote

So many hidden gems on Maui! Miss it

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbhi9c6 wrote

It’s a special place. I miss it as well.

Of-Quartz t1_jbjkmis wrote

Man I remember Big beach before it had parking or a real road. Just us and one other family the whole trip. Last time I went there was a couple thousand people, three lifeguard towers, homes and parking lots there. Ended up destroying my knee on the shore break so the lifeguard tower came in handy. Lost its magic though.

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbjpmvc wrote

Yeah even in the years I lived there it changed. Became over crowded. I hate to say it but when Covid happened and tourists didn’t come, it was the most special Hawaii had been for me in all the years I’d been there. Dead quiet. Empty beaches. More of a real Hawaii vibe.

Faberbutt t1_jbhrqo3 wrote

This is beautiful. I went to Maui almost 3 years ago with my husband. We rented a vehicle with a remote controlled tent on the roof and spent almost 2 weeks driving around, exploring, and camping. It was a magical trip. Iao Valley was amazing, so beautiful and lush. It was also where we met a couple of locals that ended up inviting us to some cultural celebrations for Kamehameha Day. It was a fantastic day and we met so many people that we still keep in touch with.

​

Going back is definitly something that we look forward to when we can.

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbhxlip wrote

Sounds like a magical trip. I’m very glad you had that experience.

DallasDoomSoldier t1_jbk3kb2 wrote

I miss this place and all the stray cats that come up to you at the benches :)

AutoModerator t1_jbhcgpo wrote

Hi crankyape1534! Dont worry, this message does not mean that your post is removed. This is a reminder to quickly check your post to make sure it doesnt break any of our rules. Human moderators check the following --

Thanks!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbhcno5 wrote

Nikon D750 handheld with Nikon 20mmf2.8. Settings are ISO 400, f5, 1/800s.

bradorsomething t1_jbib4mn wrote

I don’t see mosquitoes so I don’t believe you.

crankyape1534 OP t1_jbiit65 wrote

I haven’t really had issues with mosquitoes in iao. That said the islands do have them.