Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SouthofAkron t1_iqsuc05 wrote

Before the eruption, Mt St. Helen's was a picturesque mountain. Now it is a sad shell of its self.

Oldus_Fartus t1_iqt3tsg wrote

St Helens is the rare case where even if the eruption hadn't been thoroughly documented, you can tell how terrifying it was just from how it looks now.

syzygyly t1_iqtqxpo wrote

For those curious about the before

ScottyMoKu OP t1_iqtvwi6 wrote

Unreal. I was eight years old when it erupted in 1980. I remember watching the column of ash, that was once that mountain top, mushrooming into the e sky from our home in southwest Portland. It was a truly scary experience.

We wore N95 style masks for weeks afterwards when we outdoors, as a several inches thick layer of fine powdery volcanic ash had settled and covered everything in sight. And that was some 80 miles from the mountain

Razorbackalpha t1_iqugdjo wrote

It's crazy how no picture does the mountain justice. I come here about 2-3 times per year and it blows me away every time. The valley especially watching the mountain while simultaneously while being in the middle of such a barren landscape of rocks and small foliage compared to the surrounding forest is unreal.

AutoModerator t1_iqsrw2l wrote

Hi ScottyMoKu! Dont worry, this message does not mean that your post is removed. This is a reminder to quickly check your post to make sure it doesnt break any of our rules. Human moderators check the following --

Thanks!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

I-am-prplvlvt05 t1_iquxb4b wrote

We drove by there just after eruption. We collected ash it was so soft. Used some of it in my build your volcano project in 5th grade. I’m sure I’m the only one in class who had real ash.