Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Novacryy t1_iygli5v wrote

Madeira is fucking unreal. My first "far away" vacation was there and I think about doing my next one there again.

wndr_dst OP t1_iyh5a7m wrote

Wholeheartedly agree, surreal experiences here.

Juw0ne t1_iyg7ft4 wrote

This is the only picture in this sub that made me remember I have a 4k display. Absolutely incredible

denjmusic t1_iyi2hh0 wrote

I was just there a couple months ago. Amazing place but man those roads can get real scary lol

FrenchBowler t1_iyil9cn wrote

Can't wait to visit in May!

Any recommendations or advice?

wndr_dst OP t1_iyjffnr wrote

Rent a car so that you can get out of Funchal, roam all of Madeira, and discover beautiful places that you won’t find on a guided tour

FrenchBowler t1_iyjjlkx wrote

Was already planning on renting a car, thanks! Any specific regions of the island you recommend checking out?

wndr_dst OP t1_iyjqpby wrote

Go drive along the north coast, you’ll see places like Illheaus de Janela, spot rainbows off the cliffs, sun rays beaming through the clouds and hitting the sea, good restaurants, etc.

gamma-ray-bursts t1_iz0e158 wrote

What camera and lens?

wndr_dst OP t1_iz0ipw1 wrote

Sony A7rii camera body, 24mm F/1.4 G Master Lens, uncompressed RAW files. This image is bracketed 2.0EV 3 images to increase the scene’s dynamic range.

gamma-ray-bursts t1_iz28d2f wrote

That’s the camera I ain to buy soon. I have an a7ii. If I put good glass, the image quality is pristine. But sometimes I feel like I need more resolution still. What made you pick the a7r2 and how do you like that camera so far?

wndr_dst OP t1_iz2evk2 wrote

My primary focus is landscape photography. No videography, ever. Sometimes I do portraits and I also use this camera for casual, unserious shooting as well. If that sounds like what you’d use it for then go for it, especially because you can find it for around $1,000 or less (last time I checked). Adding good glass into the mix like the G Master line adds a ton of quality to the pics from this camera body. Hopefully this perspective helps!

gamma-ray-bursts t1_iz47bks wrote

I do pretty much the same. Also no video ever. Seems like a good fit. Last question, if I may. The autofocus is good and reliable? Or so you do mainly MF given all the landscaping photography and all?

wndr_dst OP t1_iz4ere5 wrote

The autofocus is not reliable at all. That among a few other features (e.g. battery life, internal intervalometer missing, poorer color balance, etc.) is why I would recommend investing in a newer a7r model if money is no issue. I usually use AF to get in a general range of sharpness and then go manual from there to dial it in a bit more. Nevertheless, you can easily get around the pitfalls of the a7rii.

AutoModerator t1_iyfkgem wrote

Hi wndr_dst! Dont worry, this message does not mean that your post is removed. This is a reminder to quickly check your post to make sure it doesnt break any of our rules. Human moderators check the following --

Thanks!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.