Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_ixe2psd wrote

I would send in a door dash order for shits n giggles

paperpatience t1_ixe6ns3 wrote

DoorDash - orbital driver needed! $15/h + benefits!

chibiddeebah t1_ixe8mu9 wrote

Plus you get a free meal when you quit

mysticsurferbum t1_ixefgro wrote

Can you imagine the delivery fee!? It would probably add another five or ten dollars to the order!

TheyCallMeMrMaybe t1_ixen5dq wrote

I feel bad for the poor dasher who'd have to pay Jeff Bezos to get them to the moon for a $30,000 order for $6, no tip, and 0 expenses paid.

Mefibosheth t1_ixe2jue wrote

Send em up with a pallet of moon pies.

>!But seriously, I think NASA has been looking into Aquaponics in space for decades.!<

Gari_305 OP t1_ixdytg0 wrote

From the Article

>A renewable source of fresh food is essential to future long-term space missions, to avoid astronauts experiencing “food fatigue”, malnutrition and weight loss.
>
>Space plants are currently grown in closed boxes with low energy LED lights, porous clay “soil” with water, nutrients and oxygen supplied to roots; high-tech sensors and cameras monitor plant health. Plants did not evolve to grow in a box and use energy and resources in readiness for changes in light, temperature and disease, limiting full growth potential.
>
>So there is great opportunity to adapt plant genetics to produce faster-growing “pick and eat” food crops such as tomato, carrot, spinach and strawberry designed to reach their maximum potential in closed, controlled environments.

Km2930 t1_ixfq07s wrote

We all saw Matt Damon, survive on potatoes for five years. The answer is potatoes.

dubiousadvocate t1_ixfvz8d wrote

“Don’t you realize we’re breathing our own [loud noise]?!”

48voltMic t1_ixe9at3 wrote

I'm gonna say with food because it's kinda hard to eat a spaceship.

sdbct1 t1_ixe9tmj wrote

Everybody knows there's a McDonald's on the far side of the moon......

Scared-Conflict-653 t1_ixe73mi wrote

Well lan grown meat is becoming more advanced. Doesn't have to be good, just enough nutrients.

ReconstructedPickle t1_ixgiwwy wrote

Ian is getting pretty good at growing those advanced meats. Definitely not letting him bring any to my barbecue though.

Rakshear t1_ixecbl2 wrote

The mouths Bert, you feed them through their mouths.

glyptometa t1_ixgzgbw wrote

Perhaps we'll breed or discover a food source that doesn't resemble anything we currently eat, nor grow the way food grows now, to the best of our knowledge. Something that uses other sources of energy and doesn't need water to translocate nutrients.

ohiotechie t1_ixefdcy wrote

In all seriousness there have been deposits of water found on the moon and soil samples from the Apollo missions have been used to grow plants. There may be a need to add minerals and nutrients missing on earth but this doesn’t seem insurmountable. The biggest problem short term is likely making it scale to a point that lunar crops could actually provide meaningful volume to feed people.

Osxachre t1_ixezp34 wrote

I have hope of establishing a Kentucky Fried Tofu restaurant on Mars.

dubiousadvocate t1_ixfwamu wrote

You mean not cheese? And this is added text because auto mod hates pithy succinct sentences. Unless there is irrelevant and unnecessary verbiage added. To make it less pithy. And succinct. Who doesn’t appreciate excess verbiage?!

FuturologyBot t1_ixe3jpm wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/Gari_305:

From the Article

>A renewable source of fresh food is essential to future long-term space missions, to avoid astronauts experiencing “food fatigue”, malnutrition and weight loss.
>
>Space plants are currently grown in closed boxes with low energy LED lights, porous clay “soil” with water, nutrients and oxygen supplied to roots; high-tech sensors and cameras monitor plant health. Plants did not evolve to grow in a box and use energy and resources in readiness for changes in light, temperature and disease, limiting full growth potential.
>
>So there is great opportunity to adapt plant genetics to produce faster-growing “pick and eat” food crops such as tomato, carrot, spinach and strawberry designed to reach their maximum potential in closed, controlled environments.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/z21fgm/humans_are_going_back_to_the_moon_and_beyond_but/ixdytg0/

[deleted] t1_ixf85nq wrote

my guess is we’ll eventually reach a point as a species where we can gain all of the nutrients we need in a single pill. its quite simple actually, we just need to find a way to shut down that part of our body that tells us were hungry.

Juviltoidfu t1_ixfrcga wrote

Just bring along extra people. Frozen so they don't need to eat anything.

its_finished t1_ixgf2l3 wrote

Potatoes! We’re gonna science the shit outta this.

KingRBPII t1_ixh0qzm wrote

How will we protect them from radiation

mcnessa32 t1_ixhy32s wrote

Crunch wrap supremes. Those things last forever.

OggMakeFire t1_ixe4quu wrote

They won't get far. Feeding them won't be an issue.

−1

278891090 t1_ixebfcq wrote

Probably with those fake meat products they grow in labs

−4

AcademicGuest t1_ixej584 wrote

Nope, I have a life and family here on earth. And nothing will get in the way of that.

−6

kidicarus89 t1_ixf50ng wrote

Shut down the space program. This guy doesn’t want to go to the moon.