Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kirpid t1_j9sr06n wrote

Be careful what you wish for. There’s a good reason that language models have improved so much last year. If they don’t need you to come into the office, they may not need you at all. Especially if you’re an antisocial grunt.

Offices exist to offer a social work environment. I mean, theoretically secretaries could have been replaced by an answering machine and windows 95. It’s still a viable career because it’s good for social relations and teamwork.

You need to depend on your social skills to get away with mediocre grunt work going into the future.

−13

seamustheseagull t1_j9t88m2 wrote

It's fun that you think companies will hold onto replaceable staff members because they "like" them and see more of them.

At most you might manage to keep your job for an extra year or two, but if you're in that firing line, you should be focussing on upskilling yourself rather than putting in appearances.

A secretary is still a viable career because someone still needs to actually answer the phone and use the computer. Senior management don't want to have to manage their own calendars and answer all their own emails.

kirpid t1_j9ta9q5 wrote

I’d certainly agree it’s critical to upskill. That’s much more important than faking social engagement.

I’m just saying that eye contact and hand shakes go a long way in building trust. It could be the difference between closing a deal and not.

−6