Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Adghar t1_ja15w61 wrote

I hate to sound like a Luddite, but learning languages doesn't strike me as something people should ever want to stop learning. Language learning usually provides more benefits than just communication with others - you learn cultural context, different ways of seeing things, etc. Certainly, a universal translator would really come in handy, but even with the most effective and convenient translators out there, people would still want to learn other languages.

BoysenberryLanky6112 t1_ja1b514 wrote

I learned a lot about English when studying French in college. Like a lot of English I "learned" by hearing other people and conversing growing up, but when I learned about the rules in French it made me think a lot about those same rules in English.

SomeoneSomewhere1984 t1_ja19be0 wrote

There's a difference between wanting to do it, and needing to do it. Yes some people will want to. Will a computer effectively translate when speaking to someone so you don't have to you if you don't want to? That would be great.

MarginCalled1 t1_ja1pce7 wrote

Microsoft is testing software within their 'Teams' program that will translate spoken language in real time between multiple parties.

I'd estimate that by 2025 ( 2 years from now ) human translators will start disappearing at a rapid pace. Call Center workers will also start seeing large layoffs due to AI at this point as well.

Source: I work in AI and have friends all over the industry.

nbgrout t1_ja1fqrn wrote

And knowing more words/languages expands your capability for thought.

Language is more than just some sounds and scribbles that directly translate to person's/places/things. It is very often impossible to express exactly the same thought in a different language because the idea itself has cultural context and meaning imbued by the language.

For example, in English we would say "I like bananas". In Spanish the closest translation is "me gusta bananas," but those are fundamentally two different statements. In English, you are the subject taking affirmative action on the object (banana) by "liking" it. In Spanish, you are instead the passive object being acted upon by the subject (the banana) which is "pleasing" you (gustar ~ to please). Think about that, it seems subtle but consider the implications of being passive, acted upon by the world vs being active, acting up on the world.

sebastianmorningwood t1_ja1kr3o wrote

I agree. When I studied Japanese I realized that the verb is at the end of the sentence, forcing the listener to pay attention until the end.

leaky_wand t1_ja4hcee wrote

Japanese also has among the shortest gaps between the speaker finishing their sentence and the listener replying. There are so many early indicators within the sentence priming the user to expect a certain path of meaning ("This may be a little strange, but…" or "If" occurring at the beginning, or a series of noun modifiers before introducing the subject, etc.) that the last few words of a sentence are often a formality and sometimes omitted altogether. You’d be surprised how infrequently people are truly listening all the way to the end, they are usually thinking of their reply halfway through.

Divallo t1_ja1q4bw wrote

I like this take. Hard to call a guy a luddite who chooses not to use technology only so he himself can learn more.

Although, if you judged someone else for using a translator instead of learning multiple language though you'd circle right back to luddite because then you'd be shaming the use of technology at that point.

I'm thinking learning is great but people only have so much sand in their hourglass to spend and even if they aren't studying Portuguese they could be studying something else instead.

Also a universal translator can't exist because if you made one I'd invent a dumb language just to say the device can't interpret it.

Shot-Job-8841 t1_ja2qc6z wrote

> cultural context

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Diplomacy would suffer massively if we used software translation exclusively. And I wouldn’t want a psychologist who was unable to understand you without a software program.

Educational-Song3568 t1_ja2lcji wrote

You also learn how to think differently. Each language has its own way of describing the world. Hard to explain without being bilingual.

sudden_cookie44 t1_ja2rm3l wrote

Agree. Fwiw I feel like chatgpt takes culture into consideration and translate euphemism pretty well. Where Google translates stuff literally and a lot will get lost in translation.

heavy-metal-goth-gal t1_ja5xg1s wrote

At least learn some funny curse words and phrases to hit on people and fun or interesting things like Schadenfreude and Razbliuto and Yugen and Hygge. It's cool to find out about other cultures.

PenPaperTiger t1_ja2lvpx wrote

What are the underlying mechanisms? How would the potential to 'learn cultural context and see things differently' by learning a language compare to the potential to learn about other cultures and encounter different ways of seeing things by communicating with people from other cultures through a universal translator?

Aggravating_Kick525 t1_ja240sq wrote

Wanting to be able to do things yourself makes you a “Luddite” now? You tech bros are corny as hell.

−3

Timbershoe t1_ja2cdk5 wrote

That is literally what a Luddite is. Someone who opposes a form of automation.

I’m really confused why you would think using the right word makes you corny or a ‘tech bro’?

Aggravating_Kick525 t1_ja4mnqg wrote

It’s corny because a lot of you are using it to mock anyone with concerns over rapidly advancing AI tech, and those who prefer to stick to traditional ways/develop their own skills. Neither of which are inherently worthy of scorn.

And Tech Bro is just a general term for a guy working/interested in Tech, which is what the vast majority of people here are, including the guy I was responding to. So I’m confused why you take objection to that term?

singularity2070 t1_ja3y08c wrote

Learning a new language takes a lot of effort and time, and not everyone has unlimited free time. by the way do you use gps when you want to go to a place you don't know or you follow maps or you ask people how to go to this place??

Aggravating_Kick525 t1_ja4hlbp wrote

You’re arguing against a straw man. I never said it’s always better to do everything yourself, only that you shouldn’t try to shame people by calling them luddites for taking pride in the skills they developed for themselves.

Jonsj t1_ja2ca3v wrote

Why? Language is just a friction that stop us from communicating, why did we learn how to stop washing clothes by hand? Or run instead of flying?

It's just a block, something that makes life harder, not easier. It's a tool, you would learn far more if you could talk to everyone, far more perspectives and ways of looking at thing's.

People would understand each other better, less misunderstandings. You don't sound like a Luddite, you sound like someone that thinks the status quo has a benefit, just because it had been this way, not because it has an actual benefit.

−10

Shot-Job-8841 t1_ja2qykp wrote

> Language is just a friction that stop us from communicating

There’s an entire school of psychology that considers language to be both the medium and the message. The idea is that your thoughts are shaped by language.

Calling it “just friction” is a gross oversimplification that treats vast amounts of salient nuance as so much obsolete baggage. Language is not a vestigial organ to be resigned to some psycho-cultural waste bin.

The wide variety of languages in the word provide more material for innovation: certain concepts are genuinely easier to express in specific languages because there is no truly appropriate equivalent.

Jonsj t1_ja4617n wrote

Within one language there is plenty of jargon and it constantly developes to fit the needs of the user.

This always happens with cultural, people confuse the function of a language (to communicate) with something special in of itself.

A good example is theater, theater used to be the dominant form of long form narrative entertainment, it was one of the best ways to satisfy the need people felt for this kind of entertainment. Now it's movies, or even tv-series. Poetry used to be very popular, now we moved on. How do you know that innovation is driven by different languages? The lingua franca of science is English and the majority of innovations are published in English.

If 10 people in a room all speak the same language, 10 people in the other room speaks all different languages, which group has the best chance of trading ideas?

Innovation comes from the the mixing of ideas, this is best understood if people can understand each other. Science would not be were it is if there were not a common understanding, that's actually one of the first thing you learn. Jargon, you learn the language of your discipline, to better understand previous knowledge and to communicate your ideas to others.

If my teacher or professor speaks a different language than me, how does that foster innovation? It does not, cooperation comes from understanding each other, not not understanding each other.

−3

Shot-Job-8841 t1_ja46nft wrote

Poetry is still very popular where I live, which brings me to my point. I feel like you’re dismissing alternative perspectives without giving them adequate consideration because they don’t correspond with your personal experiences.

Jonsj t1_ja4a8ns wrote

It's not an alternate perspective, poetry used to be very popular, movies, tv shows etc has surpassed poetry.

11.7% read poetry once a year in the US, the average US citizen watch 141 hours of tv a month!

The scale is not comparable. Poetry was just a small comparison to make a point. I am more curious to hear how people not understanding each other is good for innovation?

−1