Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

logantauranga OP t1_jdyxu5q wrote

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault is pretty unique - it's a technologically-advanced secure backup facility in Norway that stores duplicate copies of important plant seeds from around the world to ensure food security in case of any disasters.

AbstracTyler t1_je14rei wrote

Does it go a step further and backup seeds for general biodiversity of wild spaces? Not just those plants which are directly food related?

Surcouf t1_je1xhqe wrote

Most of the seed deposited are crop variants sent by various countrie's genebanks. They're copies of all their local crops seeds basically.

However, some genebanks not entirely dedicated to crop species have been sending backup seeds there. There's a huge collection of north american trees and another collection of british wildflowers for example.

The Vault's mission statement is to preserve any seeds the signatories of the international treaty sends. While most of the world's genebanks are primarly concerned with agriculture or species of use for humans, there is a growing interest in preserving other wild species for research and ecosystem preservation.

The Vault's only half full right now, and the capacity can be upgraded if need be.

cannotfoolowls t1_je1j70j wrote

Doesn't every country have a seed vault?

Surcouf t1_je1xrme wrote

Almost all countries have seedbanks. The svalbard vault is like the international backup of all the worlds bank.

rf314 t1_je097kh wrote

Fascinating! I thought it would be a bigger facility. Interestingly, South Korea provided high-tech looking crates, while North Korea used old-timey wooden crates. I assumed the crates would be standardized by the Seed Vault org.

Slotjobb t1_je0eb4k wrote

Yeah it's strange, seeing the reality takes away the mystique. I was imagining a Mines of Moria type situation brimmed with seeds.

KodyBerns99 t1_jdzaz85 wrote

Thanks for sharing. Such a vital initiative for preserving our planet's biodiversity

SlipSlob t1_je0a1uk wrote

The first picture, shows footprints of guys going out to pee in the snow ⛄️

cubgerish t1_je1l4ru wrote

My video game instincts took me into an embarrassing number of maintenance closets.

Jamo3306 t1_je0v8ev wrote

We'd like to come in and rummage around a bit.

apotrope t1_je23ywg wrote

When you seed it, it seeds you too...

Dingbat_Downvoter t1_je24yqp wrote

Came here for the White Vault reference. Was only disappointed that it was at the bottom of the page.

distantapplause t1_je0yh1v wrote

Features in the Netflix show Into the Night, which seems to have done a pretty decent job replicating it!

sobayspearo t1_je15dcu wrote

Shame that it's not full 360 and that the nadir and zenith can't be viewed.

DarylInDurham t1_je16e8l wrote

Was then not working for me...Reddit hug of death?

Angel_ariaa t1_je1x0r0 wrote

Wow, that sounds really interesting! I've always been curious about the Seed Vault and the crucial role it plays in preserving the world's plant biodiversity. I'm excited to take a virtual tour and learn more about how it works and why it's so important. Plus, the stunning scenery of Svalbard is a bonus!

Erickweathers t1_je2whh6 wrote

Nearly certain this is a chatgpt bot. Their entire comment history is… off like this.

hillbillie88 t1_je24val wrote

Gotta put in a plug for the international series “Into The Night” Netflix. The seed vault is part of the story.

Radiantlady t1_je2v0li wrote

I visited there and we walked past the vault I am so impressed