Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

twohedwlf t1_iuibwvc wrote

If it's that severe it sounds like it might be worth talking to your gp.

Parkkranti t1_iuig1h1 wrote

Get checked by doctor, meanwhile to reduce the coughing try Ginger juice and honey . (2:1) If you don't have honey, keep small pieces of fresh ginger (think tic tac sized) in mouth and bite them whenever you get the urge to cough. Mum used this when we were kids, it worked wonders.

bitsybear1727 t1_iuij8g6 wrote

This sounds like it could possibly be illness triggered mild asthma where swelling in the airways triggers coughing which triggers more swelling etc etc etc. This happens to me as well. I was prescribed an inhaler that I only need to use to get it under control and not again unless an illness or allergies cause another flair-up. A surprising remedy is thyme tea... steep 1 tsp of cooking thyme in boiling water or broth... it works remarkably well as a cough suppressant. Otherwise a doctor might be able to help you trouble -shoot it a bit better.

keepthetips t1_iuiazxn wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

SsurebreC t1_iuisemm wrote

Obviously see your doctor but some things that helped me:

• sleep upright or at least elevate your head. I had an awful cough while I was lying in bed recovery and I just saw up and it went away.
  • there is a pill - forgot the name of it - but it basically short-circuits your throat where you don't have these chain coughs. It's a clear yellow gel pill and used in pneumonia-related situations so I'd ask the doctor if it's a recurring problem.
  • not terribly obvious but take allergy medication. Coughing often results from mucus draining down into your throat. Allergy meds often dry up the mucus in your nose. No mucus draining, no coughing.
  • try those throat sprays but this depends. You need to literally spray the throat but if everything is swollen then you'll just numb your tongue instead.
  • there are cough drops that include a numbing agent but, again, will mostly numb your tongue. I've had better luck with Theraflu.
  • wash your sheets and open your windows. You coughing might be worse if you're re-breathing some nasty stuff. If you haven't dusted in a while, put a mask on, dust, then keep the windows open for at least a few hours and let it vent out. If you're sick, you should be washing your sheets at least once a week, more if you're also sweating. This includes pillow cases and change your pillow if it's old.
  • this might also be harder to do depending on how sick you are but go outside for a long walk and go to a park or some place with fresh air (i.e. not downtown or a subway). Take long deep breaths and yeah, you'll cough but keep going.
  • you can also gargle with salt water if you also have tonsil-related issues
  • take a hot shower and take in deep breaths, it'll break up some of the crap you have there
  • if you cough and it's dry then that's one thing but if it's wet (i.e. you have wet crap in your throat) then don't swallow it back but spit it out. If it's yellow or green then your body is fighting an infection and just spit that shit out.

Lastly, as in anything, take a break, try to reduce stress, take some days off, stop watching anything stressful (ex: scary movies or tough video games), maybe even get off of social media.