Submitted by NotWeirdThrowaway t3_z8s6ba in LifeProTips

I’ve been offered positions I am incredibly under qualified for simply because my interview wasn’t 1/2 bad but I had great rapport with the interviewer.

The mindset is they can teach you the work, they can’t teach you how to have a good personality.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Jugales t1_iycyd3a wrote

Been there, also been the hiring manager in that case. Training a positive person is much easier than hiring someone with a negative personality. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs you're underqualified for, even if it requires a certain degree (except the medical field)

Nateorade t1_iyd2ui6 wrote

While interpersonal skills are important, you’re likely underestimating how much of an impact things other than your “personality” had on those hiring decisions.

This is how unconscious bias is perpetuated into a hiring decision and how some companies (eg in tech) are so full of the same people (white dudes).

As a hiring manager myself, I have to be extremely mindful that “rapport” will be higher with people like me, because that’s how people are. But I don’t want to hire a bunch of nateorades. I want to hire a team with diverse experiences that will be effective at working together and getting the job done.

thesupplyguy1 t1_iye5i55 wrote

my wife just got hired for this exact same reason last week. Got offered a job she had no experience directly doing because she has a great personality, is task oriented and super organized.

shave_your_teeth_pls t1_iyf7ngm wrote

This is the reason why there are TONS of posts on /r/antiwork about people complaining they weren't hired.

An asshole with a massive CV will still be an asshole. In most other cases, people can be trained.

keepthetips t1_iycxl5l wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

badcatmal t1_iydd0gq wrote

I 100% hire with my gut, and always want someone cool on the team. I just look at the resume to make sure it’s formatting correctly. But I am in finance, not saving lives or anything.