Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SafeItchy6145 t1_j9z9m62 wrote

A trick I pull on myself….most employers allow you paycheck to send money to several different accounts. Send money out of your paycheck directly to an account that is harder to draw money from. That little bit of separation works for me.

Splyce123 t1_j9xqzzt wrote

We have a joint account for bills and both my wife and myself have a standing order to transfer a set amount of our wages into it every month. We calculated the rough amount needed to cover monthly bills, then added another 20% on top. This money slowly builds up and provides an extra pot of cash for unforeseen large purchases, the occasional holiday etc. Once that account gets to a certain level, we transfer a chunk into a savings account and this has also grown enough to cover us in case of job loss etc (or really big purchases). It works well for us.

Calius1337 t1_j9xr1d0 wrote

It’s not that hard. I put away all the left over money at the end of each month into a separate account where it slowly accumulates over time. When I need to buy a new car, I transfer the money into my Main account and then just buy the car with it.

Original-Ad-4642 t1_j9ya0ua wrote

This is the way.

1. Determine when you need another car, washing machine, etc.

2. Figure out how much money you need to save each month to hit that goal.

3. Put money in the sinking fund each month.

hanksmackbottom t1_ja09mo2 wrote

….”leftover… money,,,,”??? I mean, I understand each word on its own, but…

FuturePerformance t1_j9yxm7x wrote

Safety net of 3-6 months of living expenses. This is usually in case you become unemployed but when you have large purchases or unexpected bills you use that stockpile and then refill it.

keepthetips t1_j9xq4vl wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

Fun_Amount3063 t1_j9yilkt wrote

No you’re not a “bit if a budgeter” if you are baffled by the concept of a savings account that can be used for larger, infrequent purchases if need be.

−4

lubricatedwhale97 OP t1_ja0v1qm wrote

I have a sinking bills account, 6 month emergency fund, additional saving account towards goal of homeownership etc

It's not baffling, there's just a 1000 ways to approach this and I'm interested in hearing them from others in case they have a better system

Fun_Amount3063 t1_ja366em wrote

You have all that but still can’t figure it out? LMAO

lubricatedwhale97 OP t1_ja5vbry wrote

LPT just for you - floating around on LPT Requests to just shit on people is a dh move and the makings of a very sad life. Enjoy it.