Submitted by TheleronTheGreat t3_124p8d0 in Maine

Hey all! I am looking for people to play and learn from. I'm a beginning bluegrass banjo player our of Cumberland Center, Maine. I want to find some local jams and get more connected with the bluegrass scene here in Maine. Feel free to reach out here ir DM's.

Also any info on some in person teachers would be awesome!

I know about 317Main summer program and will definitely be attending this year!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sarge75 t1_je06bie wrote

You should check out the Blistered Fingers bluegrass festival. I have been to the one in Litchfield and it is a great time.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_je09rw0 wrote

Seconding this. I never went (my bus driver would blast the Wolf full volume at 6AM every single day and caused me to despise most forms of country until I was out of my teens), but I grew up in that area, and that festival is really one of the only things keeping the town on the map. Pretty sure it’s bi-annual, too. One in June and one in August.

notmilwaukeebrewer t1_je0a46n wrote

Last year I camped at searsport shores ocean campground and they were having a bluegrass workshop. Im not a musician but it seemed like something that would be worth looking into.

Doc_coletti t1_je1fzpu wrote

I play clawhammer banjo, bass and ukulele. Most of the jams around me are a mix of old time and bluegrass, not specifically bluegrass

blzac33 t1_je22bt2 wrote

Bramhall used to have a bluegrass band that played there pretty regularly. Cool bar.

HumbleStumbled t1_je27p8d wrote

Every other Tuesday there’s an open bluegrass jam geared towards beginners at banded in Biddeford. 6:30-8:30. It’s starting in 50 minutes! Cmon down.

TheleronTheGreat OP t1_je27uir wrote

This is awesome to know! I am coming back to Maine after a long stint in Mexico, in a few weeks. Hope to be there!

timothypjr t1_je2a29l wrote

I urge you to go see Toby McAlister and the Sierra sounds. I don’t know if Toby does lessons any longer, but a show of his is a lesson in how to make great music a bluegrass flair. He’s also a fucking great guy.

51632 t1_je2yhqm wrote

I heard a great bluegrass band called Seagrass at the Fryeburg Fair.