Submitted by Apprehensive-Bus2066 t3_11tu7jc in Maine

Hey all -

Currently live in Portland area, spouse and I are considering quieter/cheaper areas to raise a family in a house with a good size lot. Really interested in the Casco/Naples/Sebago area since it's closer to family in NH & near many lakes, but do not yet know too much about it. Looking for any and all feedback, especially when related to political leanings (we're blue), quality of schools, activities for children, sense of community, etc...

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mxservice t1_jckxyrs wrote

Most of the children have been eaten, they will welcome your arrival.

balplayr11 t1_jckzkj4 wrote

I lived in the area for 20 years. I like it. Commutes are getting longer as many people are moving this way. Rec programs are decent. Lake Region schools. Elementary schools are good. Middle school is garbage. High school is marginally better.

Aggressive_FIamingo t1_jcl4xm5 wrote

I'm in my 30s and I'm still in therapy over things that I experienced at LRMS. Maybe things are different now, but if I had kids I personally wouldn't wanna risk it by sending them there.

oldhonkytonk t1_jcktp60 wrote

I live in Steep Falls. Commuted to Portland for years. Steep Falls has its own elementary school that is very small and has been great. Politics I feel are mixed. Typically I vote red but don’t shove it down peoples throats which you do see around. Plenty of beaches that are great. Give Nasons beach in Sebago a shot. My kids love it there.

LeadPipe_7964 t1_jcllrkm wrote

Just want to thank you for not shoving your politics in peoples faces. Its really annoying haha

oldhonkytonk t1_jcvo0ey wrote

Seeing your post history it seems to be something you haven’t mastered yet.

Runnah5555 t1_jcksxif wrote

Fairly affluent area. Lots of out of state money. Lean mostly blue, some rich old red.

Lots of lake based activities as well as hiking.

bonnar0000 t1_jcl16wt wrote

You get what you put in out here. Perfect for many, less so for some. Bridgton is up and coming for sure. Lotta people putting in work.

oldncrusty68 t1_jcl6jh3 wrote

Maybe keep going to fryburg. I’d avoid the lakes region school system

pbbb1256 t1_jckthms wrote

With kids it’s all about the schools

3490goat t1_jcl2d8d wrote

I live in Windham, a little down the road from where you are thinking about. My oldest is in kindergarten so I have been getting to know the school system a bit.

The schools seem pretty good and as well funded as any, so no complaints there. I was a bit surprised when I found out just how many kindergarten classes there are. There seems to be a lot of families in the area. Kids sports are pretty prevalent as well.

We have a state parks pass so we spend a ton of the summer at the Sebago state park. Definitely worth it. They have a clean beach and a playground so the kids love it.

The variety of restaurants isn’t what you find in Portland of course, but there are still tasty options for when you need a night off of cooking.

There are a ton of trails and lakes for hiking, canoeing, ice skating and fishing.

We haven’t lost power in the winter yet, which is a huge relief having young kids, but the power will go out occasionally during summer thunderstorms.

Overall it’s quiet, the folks are friendly and helpful when you need a hand, and it is a nice pace of life. We love it and are happy our kids will grow up here

SyntheticCorners28 t1_jcpbte4 wrote

This is just my opinion but Sebago state park is trash. Over crowded with loud and obnoxious out of staters. It's a poor representation of Maine State parks.

I delivered kayaks there for years for a local outfit. Hated having to wade through that mess to pick up/drop off. Can't imagine spending any time in there.

3490goat t1_jcpx0ux wrote

I don’t disagree with you, but with little kids it’s a great place to go. It’s certainly not backpacking in the north woods, but for a day (usually morning) trip it works for my family. It’s all about managing expectations.

kintokae t1_jcl7uia wrote

I live in Casco and have a family here. They haven’t started school yet, but from my chats with the staff at songo locks elementary school, they said it was great. I’ve heard things about the high school, but we had those same issues when I went to school in Skowhegan. I guess it just depends on the crowd at the time.

IamSauerKraut t1_jclb0xz wrote

Gray is not far away. GNG is a decent school.

LeadPipe_7964 t1_jcllk1b wrote

Used to be there. Tourist area. I love the pine trees but your children will have long grueling bus rides if you dont live near the school.

​

Housing is also pretty expensive up there... not as much as Portland per say, but there are definitley cheaper areas.

Kayfabe_Reality t1_jclmvzq wrote

Be prepared for a lot of power outages. I live on the Sebago / Standish border (the other side of the lake) and have experienced 7 power outages so far in 2023.

Like many smaller towns, the people who never left tend to have their politics lean towards red, while younger transplants tend to lean blue. I'm seeing an overall slow shift towards blue though.

eljefino t1_jcn3th3 wrote

Rented a place on the Sebago/ Naples line back in 2001 when wife & I were newlyweds. Nice, private. 5 acre lot but not a lot of road frontage, but a strip of garbage woodland that went way back. Think they had a 5 acre minimum lot size. Stars were nice.

This was before North Windham was as built up as it is now-- had to go to Portland for Home Depot, and Lowes wasn't even a thing. 302 is a miserable stroad, if you're trying to get into or out of Portland.

There was a lot of nothing. I miss it. It's going to get even more built up when the turnpike Gorham spur dumps out onto 114.

AltyBoy98 t1_jctbuzu wrote

stay in Portland... PLEASE

−1