Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AcidMonkeyOnMars t1_ispp3ry wrote

Not a fan of Goodwills in general anymore. The Salvation Army in Newport is decent sore. A good ole Mom & Pop with good prices. Few and far between

smcgowan10 OP t1_it9w7zg wrote

Why aren't you a fan of Goodwill now? Price increases?

AcidMonkeyOnMars t1_ite20cw wrote

Too much just crap on the shelves. More often than not the records are just thrown on shelves. Bad corporate Vibe Plus more

Alive_Most_2028 t1_isq3f5x wrote

Little bit of a hike but The Willows Flea Market in Mechanic Falls. Honestly haven't been there personally but have only heard good things and the owners are great people.

smcgowan10 OP t1_isq4v88 wrote

I don't even know where that is! But I'll check into it. Thank you!

[deleted] t1_ispkpg1 wrote

Somerset Auction Company in Fairfield has a lot of interesting stuff to bid on.

smcgowan10 OP t1_ispl2kg wrote

I've never been there, but I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

SouthernButterbean t1_isqqlcu wrote

The Habitat for Humanity Restore has some interesting household stuff, no clothing or linens though. I think it was there that I saw a typewriter.

smcgowan10 OP t1_it9wa74 wrote

Never heard of it! I'll look into it! Thank you!

SouthernButterbean t1_itbm0ok wrote

It's across the parking lot from the Concourse/Goodwill etc. Down from Cancun, used to be Sign of the Sun. Household items are upstairs, building items on main floor. They have an elevator.

smcgowan10 OP t1_itc7t0m wrote

I know that what used to be Sign of the Sun is now a store called Old Soul Collective. Is it in the same building as that?

SouthernButterbean t1_itcgxoo wrote

Hmmm now I'm confused! Pretty sure it's the corner store, I thought Sign of the Sun was there but could be wrong. Not familiar with Old Soul Collective. In that area at any rate!

Ebomb1 t1_isskdw6 wrote

Farmington has 2 consignment stores and a general thrift store. I've scored some decent stuff there.

smcgowan10 OP t1_istfecw wrote

Thank you! I'll have to take a ride up there to check them out!

WangnanJahad t1_istet5v wrote

Not really 'thrift' but consignment/antique shops...but maybe you'll find something interesting:

Jellison Trader on 201 Augusta across from the Big Apple.

Elmer's on 17 just before Peasley's.

Stonybrook on 3 in Augusta

Ron Reeds just off 3 in China

Toy Store on the corner of 3 and 32 in China

Fairfield antique mall on 201

Liberty Tool Company on 173 in Liberty

polaris207 t1_iszsxjs wrote

It's not a thrift store, but Heirloom Vintage & Antiques on Temple Street has a great selection of vintage clothes at very reasonable prices.

janmichaelvintage t1_isp8qhx wrote

There aren't any "good thrifts" anymore. They're all overpriced with terrible products deranged management and miserable employees.

What are you looking for?

smcgowan10 OP t1_ispct7x wrote

Nothing specific honestly. I just like thrifting.

HSteeves t1_ispjgx7 wrote

I’ve found great stuff at that Goodwill and the Augusta one. Waterville seems like they have better shoes, Augusta has better books.

smcgowan10 OP t1_ispkckv wrote

I haven't checked out Augusta yet! I'll do that! Thanks!

PvtPug t1_ispen25 wrote

Where do I find old typewriters?

janmichaelvintage t1_ispfbcx wrote

Elmer's Barn, Chicken Barn, those are the places I'd look first. If you're looking for typewriter keys PM me... unless you're the wiseguy downvoting me.

PvtPug t1_ispo0vp wrote

Nah just love typewriters, thanks.

janmichaelvintage t1_ispocs7 wrote

What town are you in? I just saw one in a travel case the other day in some shop.

PvtPug t1_isptz0l wrote

Down East, but I'm all over for work.

WangnanJahad t1_istdn4g wrote

Was just at Chicken barn. all of three typewriters, all ridiculously high price.

janmichaelvintage t1_istf6ph wrote

Yeah hence my first comment about thrifts or used goods. These people are delusional. Although it has to be somewhat because the quality of modern goods is so terrible that there will be no reselling market in 10 years. At a business like that, the sellers don't realize getting into it that they're supporting their own business AND an amazingly outsized portion of the renter's business. No one with a booth at an antique mall is making money except the renter.