Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Laeek t1_iu0mlug wrote

General Assistance application at your town office/city hall

IgotThereFromHere t1_iu0pdfq wrote

Does your town have A General Assistance fund/program https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/ofi/programs-services/general-assistance I don't know more than what I read on the website, but this seems like it could apply in your case. (Not sure if this is one of the rental assistance applications you've already tried.)

​

Would you qualify for short-term disability through work? Can you get an advance on a paycheck? (Not sure if you worked between covid and surgery)

​

Would you qualify for a bank loan?

​

Do you have any friends or family who might give you a loan?

​

Wish I had a great answer for you, but I don't.

badhmorrigan t1_iu0td7v wrote

Salvation Army and Goodwill can help. Find your local food pantry because they often have info about rent assistance. Check to see if there is a St. Vincent de Paul Society in your area. The local Catholic church can give you more info there.

Call 211, they are there to help people get the services they need. They can hook you up with services that can help you.

9wild9 t1_iu0pggz wrote

Any friends/family that can loan you the money? Landlord unwilling to work with you at all?

Assuming you’ve paid rent on time every month, seems like any decent landlord would show a little compassion.

[deleted] OP t1_iu0qdcr wrote

[deleted]

Rippofunk t1_iu0u6m1 wrote

Only pay the rent you can afford, the landlord can not kick you out in one month. Tell him it's the best you can do and follow up on the other assistance you have applied for. When it comes in, pay the balance. Don't discuss it with him, just do what you can.

[deleted] OP t1_iu0unxm wrote

[deleted]

9wild9 t1_iu0v35s wrote

He can’t evict you for missing one months rent. Give him what you can right now and stop communicating with them. Make you get a receipt/use a check so he can’t claim you paid $0 for the month.