Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Majestic-Feedback541 t1_j6qfvmb wrote

Good God, how many posts do we need about the cold? Why is everyone's so paranoid, like we've never experienced negative temps before.

It is winter, cold temps are expected, negatives are not out of the question.

dr0wningggg t1_j6qm5i3 wrote

this is my first winter living away from my parents (i’m 19) and all this shit has me paranoid. i’ve lived here my whole life but now that i’m somewhat responsible for my housing i’m stressed out lmaoo

PGids t1_j6rft4x wrote

Keep your heat turned on and crack your faucets, you’ll be aiight

curtludwig t1_j6s1nd6 wrote

The vast majority of people won't even need to do that. Growing up in Falmouth we never had the water freeze. Not once.

If you were in the County it'd be different. I guess that if you were Bangor or south, particularly along the coast you'd never need to worry about it.

Windchill doesn't make your pipes freeze, absolute temperature does.

eljefino t1_j6u224d wrote

Yeah cracking faucets is something to do somewhere like Texas where the houses are on slabs with the pipes outside the walls and not engineered for the occasional winter blast.

If you specifically have that one bitchy faucet that needs running, by all means, go for it, but doing it in a traditional Maine house that used to see winters like this all the time is actually inviting trouble. Like what if your septic line freezes but your well doesn't? It could happen.

curtludwig t1_j6u5q6j wrote

The septic pipes won't freeze for the same reason the well pipes don't freeze they're below the frost line, or should be anyway.

A traditional Maine home will often have frozen pipes, especially in the north. I say that because those houses were built "Good enough" for most of the time, when real cold sets in they're not good enough because there really isn't enough insulation.

Any house built in the last 30 years ought to have no problem with -20F. My parent's house was built in the early '70s and I don't remember one incident of freezing pipes ever...

ecco-domenica t1_j6t1ja7 wrote

On the contrary, in York County houses down here tend to be not built for cold so a lot of places' pipes freeze every time there's a cold snap. I grew up in Caribou and our pipes never froze. I find people are less used to it down here and many have no idea what to do about it.

curtludwig t1_j6t9ny5 wrote

>York County houses down here tend to be built poorly

FTFY

heavymetaltshirt t1_j6rklkt wrote

Hey I’m not sure how familiar you are with human social interaction, but if you’re struggling please remember that people like to talk about things that are currently happening, like: the weather. And also how much they hate people talking about the weather. Hope this helps!

raynedanser t1_j6riiz5 wrote

You could just SCROLL you know. No one forced you to click.

Majestic-Feedback541 t1_j6rjsnh wrote

I do know that But peeps could also scroll and see a similar post and add comment there instead of needing the attention so bad they make their own post

−10

raynedanser t1_j6rlkhu wrote

Or scroll. I don't know about you, but I don't have infinite time to go back through and scroll to see if such and such has been discussed already or not. And even still, so what if it has? Each conversation has been fun and something different has come up each time. Chill my dude.

IamSauerKraut t1_j6s66ht wrote

You need to chill, man. May I suggest a long walk in shorts and flipflops?

DidDunMegasploded t1_j6qoq4u wrote

For all the OOSers who have yet to experience the true power of Maine cold but live here or are visiting here.

zeiandren t1_j6rlakk wrote

Negative 40 wind chill is pretty out of the range of normal Maine cold

Majestic-Feedback541 t1_j6rlp1i wrote

Depends on location. And it's not like it's expected long-term, it's just a day or two (last time I looked, it was over the weekend)

mymaineaccount46 t1_j6s9tvv wrote

Yeah it's really just Friday night. Saturday is cold but not crazy so.

curtludwig t1_j6s1bhp wrote

Not really. If it was -20F you'd only need a 10mph breeze.

The lowest recorded temp at my house in Caribou the last 2 years has been -30F. At that temp a 5mph breeze gives -46F windchill...

IamSauerKraut t1_j6s6p3x wrote

>Negative 40 wind chill is pretty out of the range of normal Maine cold

Not really. Spent many a winter morning outside waiting for the school bus. And then ran the town streets after school for practice. Lemme tell ya about the time coach sent us out to do Ohio Hills when the temp was sub-zero and the wind was blowing...