Submitted by Jenneke42 t3_yiqo7j in MechanicalKeyboards

Like many people here, I've got more keycaps and switches than I do keyboards to use them in. How often do you change your setups? Do you match one set of keycaps to a specific keyboard? Or maybe just when the mood takes you. Kailh sockets are "rated" for 100 cycles, but these parts are fragile, how often (if ever) do you change the switches in your boards?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Litapitako t1_iuk85li wrote

I've only been into keebs for a few years now so I have just a few sets of keycaps and boards, but so far, I'd say every 6 months or so (or once or twice a year) is my pattern of changing things up. I'll be building a new board toward the end of the year so that'll give me something else to build, and I already have my eye on two new keycap sets, so I think when I have more options, I might change out my main board every 3-4 months or once per season. That's mostly for keycaps, but usually if I'm changing out the keyboard, I'm also doing other changes to my whole desk setup, so I just like to make things match.

I don't know that I'd change switches that much though since I like to leave the switches as they are unless I find something better.

seashellsnyc t1_iuk7sym wrote

It might depend on how long someone’s been using mechanical keyboards? I’ve used a mechanical keyboard for years but I’ve been in this rabbit hole the last few months due to all the variety in switches and keycaps. In this rabbit hole phase I’m just slowing down to 2 times a week. My quieter keyboard is a Q5 and my louder keyboard is the K6 Pro.

I mix switches to minimize finger fatigue and I’m liking my current combo, but I have some new 10-pack switches and my first GMK keycap sets coming this week. I’m probably going to try them out on my K6 Pro and see which mix I like, and work on having the nerve to open up my first mechanical keyboard and replace the aluminum plate with FR4.

AutoModerator t1_iujz27p wrote

Please check if your post is a help request.

As per the rules, "Help requests, keyboard buying advice, and simple questions must be posted in the daily post stickied to the top of the subreddit or it will be removed without explanation."

Please post the question here.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.