Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PlainCheesecake t1_iy2qp3s wrote

The most obvious choices will be Kailh Box Jade and Kailh Box Navy. These are considered "the best" clickies for many people. I think so too, they feel and sound very nice.

I'd also like to mention the Kailh Box Pale Blue and Kailh Box Pink. These are loud too, but have a somewhat different click sound. (I prefer Pale Blue). I have not tried Kailh Box White. So I can not give you a recommendation.

Just for trying, I would get a reference Gateron Blue or Cherry MX Blue. I think most people would agree that the Kailh switches are far superior.

(edit: added Kailh Box White)

Abtswiath t1_iy2qwnk wrote

Box whites have a softer, deeper click noise. Still very enjoyable, just not as hard as Jades or Navys.

Lighght1 OP t1_iy2qu9k wrote

I can't recall where I heard this. But do you need a special switch opener to open them? Maybe I heard that they need to be modified somehow?

trashbuged t1_iy2s39y wrote

A few years ago there was a manufacturing problem with Kailh Box, they were known to break keycaps because the stem was too big. People were buying calipers and manually shaving the stems.

The problem has been fixed now, but if you're going to buy Kailh Box on the aftermarket, make sure they are the retooled version.

stylesuxx t1_iy2x2go wrote

I like em clicky, so my favorites are the Kailh Box Jades. The navy blue are very similar in sound but quite a bit heavier, too heavy for my pinky.

The box whites are the lightest of them all but also the least loud. Those are the ones that I can use in the night with two doors closed and not wake up my wife, the Jades not so much.

All of them have click bars.

I have also been using Cherry MX Blues for a long time, but would not recommend them since you have way better options nowadays.

None of them I would recommend for an office environment, your colleagues will probably plot to assassinate you.

PackYourJammies t1_iy37xpv wrote

Other than Kailh Box switches and other clickbar switches like the Chosfox White Owl ( I think is the name?), the only other MX-style clickies anyone will recommend will be the Zeal Clickiez. There are also some less widely available switches such as the Gazzew Phoenix Clicks which I bring up based on the Gazzew name, but I have no experience with them and haven’t seen a built version sold anywhere except through Kirball

Other than these, most widely available MX-style switches are click jacket switches (e.g. Cherry/Gateron Blues), which aren’t worth paying for (honestly, they aren’t even worth it free in my opinion)

vilagefool t1_iy3bn5i wrote

I have boards with Aristotle and Phoenix stems. The Phoenix stems are based on the Aristotles (Aristotle stems are increasingly hard to find). I find both more enjoyable than Kailh Jades/Navies, blues, green, really any other clicky.
I got the Phoenix stems from Gazzew directly, don't know if he's still selling to individuals. Since they're low batch, there is a premium you'll pay.

Oh_My-Glob t1_iy4i0qx wrote

TKC just released their Blackberry switches which are an evolution of the Phoenix

ggInverno t1_iy2r0df wrote

I haven’t personally tried any clickies outside of cherry mx blue knock-offs. But I’ve heard that chosfox clicky switches are pretty well received too.

Slayer1583 t1_iy2sjzs wrote

I currently use Kailh Box Navy switches and really enjoy them. I've also used Cherry Blue and Cherry Green switches extensively in the past. Of those two I prefer Greens but that's because of my preference for stiff switches.

turnturnturnturn t1_iy4ubv8 wrote

Clickies:

If you're only looking at the MX compatible platform, you basically have two options - clickbars and clickjackets. For clickbars, I'd recommend trying Kailh Box switches as others have recommended. I'd recommend whites and pinks as safe choices. For clickjackets, I'd try to avoid these as they tend to be rattly and bad sounding due to their poor design.

If you look outside the MX compatible platform then your choices open up a lot. There are some amazing switch designs out there like beamsprings, buckling springs, Alps, SMK 2nd gen etc. that will frankly make Cherry MX look like a joke.

Tactiles:

The usual recommendations within the MX platform seem to be Boba or Panda clones or Durock T1 etc. They're fine, nothing too impressive or mind-blowing.

Outside the MX platform again, I'd recommend trying Topre, Alps tactile, SMK 2nd gen tactile etc.

Btw, all clicky switches are also tactile. I can't think of any that aren't right now

Shloopadoop t1_iy31xp2 wrote

I like kailh box whites, but I also really like the new TKC Blackberries. They are a tad bit heavy for my liking but a spring swap would make them fantastic

IAlwaysReplyLate t1_iy3fkzc wrote

I have some old Cherry Whites - factory-lubed Greens, ie heavy lubed Blues. I like them - the lube seems to take out some of the treble in the sound and makes the click feel softer, particularly at the beginning as the collar starts to engage. The only trouble is, with use mine have deteriorated in feel - but then, they've never been re-lubed. Modern lubricants might well last better.

I don't know if there are any other factory-lubed clickies - much of the attention in boutique switches seems to have gone towards replicating the Alps click feel (which isn't my preference). I also wonder if we could get closer to the Model M feel - perhaps using a conical or multi-stage spring.

No-Ranger-8931 t1_iy3jy0k wrote

I haven't tried Box Jades or Navies as they are expensive, but I use Box whites and I absolutely love them. There's a huge difference between them and those mx blue and mx blue clones. You know how people say that those who think tactile switches aren't good obviously haven't tried a good tactile switch? It's the same with clickies. Don't let those brown and blue switches fool you.

NoOne-NBA- t1_iy3m0v0 wrote

Kailh Box Whites are my favorites.

The Box Pinks/Jades/Navies are equally good, but with progressively heavier springs in them.
I prefer lighter springs, so I like the Whites best.

Esper_Lawmage t1_iy45uel wrote

TKC Blackberry are the only clickies I have and they are good for tactile enjoyers who want more

NatureAndArtifice t1_iy8oshd wrote

I've tried almost all the kailh clickbars. I recommend box pink or box white v2 for most people. The latter need some break-in before they stop binding. Chosfox arctic fox should be similar, but mine haven't arrived yet. White owl are slightly better than pink, but not to any noticeable degree.

Jade is too tactile, navy has the same clickbar, but the heavier spring compensates. Still too heavy for me.

Pale blue, china green and yellow, and mute jade don't have enough tactility. OG box white is the lowest I'd go in this regard.

Click jackets feel OK but sound rattly.

Zeal clickiez are a good start, but are even more tactile than jade. Either put orings under the caps, or wait for a revised clickleaf version.

Alps are nice, but are wobbly and have poor availability.