Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Abtswiath t1_j2086cf wrote

This looks like it was made for 'hunt and peck' typing. Cool piece of equipment.

OnlineLion OP t1_j20efw6 wrote

My initial guess was that the keycaps cause the keys to be spread further apart inorder to be more accessible with gloves... But that's just a guess

Techromancer319 t1_j24mapu wrote

Large hands person like me sees that and realizes Back space Wouldn't need to say ba ace

AccordionBruce t1_j205bo9 wrote

Those are very strange. If they don’t have a name I am going to call them the “volcano mount” key cap style

AccordionBruce t1_j205vno wrote

It’s a QWERT-Z layout! Wonder if that’s original or a mistake in the display?

Abtswiath t1_j207xmf wrote

No mistake. Its the standard german layout. We rarely use y, so y and z are switched. Also note the Umlaute ÖÄÜ, and the infamous ß, which is another Variation of s.

AccordionBruce t1_j21lxwv wrote

I guessed it was German from the β but did not know about the Z/Y. New trivia every day 🤓

Zero_Gravity58 t1_j22gzzc wrote

that’s a greek beta “β”, not an eszett “ß”.

AccordionBruce t1_j22t7fg wrote

First pick from the Unicode pallet is not a reliable international spelling plan 😞

Blooded_Wine t1_j23g2j4 wrote

I will forget about this mistake in 18 seconds or so

Abtswiath t1_j25rac5 wrote

ESZETT, AKA SCHARFES S. gotta love german language.

Tweel13 t1_j206dp1 wrote

Huh. Some typesetting device, perhaps?

Johnny_Lawless_Esq t1_j22b35s wrote

What's the rationale for that key profile within that field?

Tweel13 t1_j236lfv wrote

That question has been addressed well by other commenters, above; apparently it's a German standard. I noticed it wasn't QWERTY only after you'd asked and I'd zoomed in on the image. The clues to its typographic nature were a little easier to make out -- e.g., the alignment controls along the upper row, and the power-of-two fractions in the foreground, etc. Bethold machines could produce some very high-quality output, though I was was never a big fan of using them.

squickley t1_j23uurc wrote

Someone suggested it could be designed for use with gloves. But it sure looks like a typesetting situation. So no idea why they'd need gloves. Maybe it slows typists down to reduce errors?

Tweel13 t1_j26c19r wrote

Yeah, I wasn't going to mention that....

Typographers of the hot-metal era might have been concerned about keeping ink off their hands, but it's really not an issue with more recent technology! In any case, one would definitely not want to type in gloves. To reduce errors, practice, practice, practice.

OnlineLion OP t1_j20e4pd wrote

We hadn't had that much time left until the museum had to close. But it was in an area that was about printing so that's a pretty good guess :)

Tweel13 t1_j224upe wrote

It helped to have worked in that field for a number of years. But I've never seen one quite like that before.

superotaku193 t1_j21zgra wrote

My favorite is the "Go" button, idk why

Rungi500 t1_j243d42 wrote

It's not even capitalized. Sad little go.

wadubois t1_j20ylz9 wrote

I would pay money to nothave to type on that device!

Johnny_Lawless_Esq t1_j22b6z6 wrote

What's your address? Send me money or I'll have that keyboard shipped to your house. Tell no one or I'll send it anyway.

OnlineLion OP t1_j20z770 wrote

I wonder what it sounds like or how similar keycaps would sound on a keeb :)

yxmal t1_j20zu97 wrote

No rgb?

OnlineLion OP t1_j212u54 wrote

Imagine these keycaps like a pudding style keycaps combined with RGB would look interesting :)

yxmal t1_j2132fb wrote

Imagine those keycaps on a normal keyboard.

OnlineLion OP t1_j2141ib wrote

I think it would be very uncomfortable to type but I think the sound would be thoccy :)

Jachulczyk t1_j23ccc1 wrote

Fuckin inch-based numpad

Techromancer319 t1_j24m4wz wrote

I want it. If we build it we will... Hehe... Coom

Nathaniel___B t1_j21ftxk wrote

Goofy ahh battlecruiser 💀💀💀

muqck t1_j22ots1 wrote

Don't tell GMK about this

markwong t1_j23aeuk wrote

It looks painful to type on this for long hours.

ValuablePromise0 t1_j26r37c wrote

This might actually keep me from fat-fingering nearby keys!

4242gami t1_j22h89s wrote

that's certainly German. Strange ideas coming to their minds (sometimes).