Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Wall632170 t1_iy2zti3 wrote

No Thin Lizzy No Rory Gallagher invalidates this entire process.

atomsmasher66 t1_iy2cxuh wrote

They ran out of great artists to induct and now they’re just choosing randomly. What a joke

Small-Fun6640 t1_iy2smox wrote

Except there are still so many great actual rock artists to induct :(

southern_red_menace t1_iy3dbse wrote

Rock n' roll is an all-encompassing umbrella of contemporary and classic music. Like it or not, rock n' roll music shaped R&B, hip-hop, and yes, even country. These genres are not separate.

Aaliyah and Shakira are two legendary performers whose talent was undeniable even by the most hardcore "i hate pop music" people. Bikini Kill ushered in a new breed of punk. Garth Brooks pioneered the modern day contemporary country sound. Blink were the kings of pop punk at one point. All these artists, whether you like em or not, technically meet the criteria.

−2

GrooseandGoot t1_iy4s9tq wrote

These are not rock subgenres.

You would never see Led Zeppelin winning an R&B award ever.

This is a list of popular acts that sold lots of albums and made a lot of record executives very expensive, and Bikini Kill. (Tho I'm not gonna be mad at Garbage getting nominated)

southern_red_menace t1_iy6049d wrote

I ain't said they were subgenres, I said they were part of the rock n' roll umbrella. Rock n' roll music revolutionized how we consume All music.

Small-Fun6640 t1_iy4hr4g wrote

Sure, the genres all had a great influence on each other. They are still commonly considered different genres, whether you think they are or not.

I agree that they are all incredibly talented, influential, and legendary performers who are deserving of accolades - that does not make them rock artists. Now, Bikini Kill and Blink I can get behind, because punk is accepted to be a sub genre of rock and roll. I also agree with Garbage’s nomination, though I am not a huge fan. I just disagree with you that being an influential and legendary artist in any genre makes you worthy of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when there are respective Halls of Fame for those genres, just because each genre has influenced one another?

I’m not trying to sound like a gatekeeping asshole, I think all of these artists are very talented and influential, but I think it’s crazy to say that these genres are not different.

AIC_333 t1_iy2r6mi wrote

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will always be a joke. Don’t take them seriously.

VrinTheTerrible t1_iy2dawu wrote

There are already hip hop and country music halls of fame. Most of these acts belong in one or the other.

kenlasalle t1_iy2awmj wrote

Country and R&B are (not at all) rock & roll!

CabinetOwn5418 t1_iy36q4b wrote

Except for the fact that rock n roll literally grew out of blues, country, and r&b I completely agree with you

kenlasalle t1_iy3hwzv wrote

Sure, if it was the "Origins Awards" or something I'd completely agree.

CabinetOwn5418 t1_iy48644 wrote

You said they are not at all rock n roll, and that just isn’t correct. Also, music often isn’t a single genre: there is lots of overlap

−2

AAluzuxz t1_iy2npv1 wrote

Yet still no soundgarden.... 😐

Limp_Truck_6883 t1_iy2qc1c wrote

Garth shouldn't be nominated until he tells us where the bodies are.

idiotzrul t1_iy3u2r4 wrote

No way this list is legit. And where the hell is Blue Oyster Cult?

bemyShawty t1_iy4lgw7 wrote

New Order is so due for this

Daddywarbucks0420 t1_iy2eq2o wrote

What a fucking joke the ROCK n ROLL hall of fame has become. Such great ROCK acts never mentioned

ChronoMonkeyX t1_iy33q5t wrote

Bad enough non-rock bands have been added, but now almost NO rock bands? What a joke.

Cannibal_Corpus666 t1_iy3dcmk wrote

I swear, I feel ashamed for my generation that no one can appreciate music that was actually decent, and this shit only makes it worse.

Tikimaize t1_iy3knxj wrote

Although I love Garbage, I don't think they are RRHOF worthy.

DrabShepherd t1_iy3mk0i wrote

I love them too and I’m also kinda shocked they were nominated. Butch Vig definitely deserves to be nominated on his album production skills though IMO

MoneySike3000 t1_iy4ilyn wrote

Blink-182, and Garbage are the only 2 rock acts on the list. I got a last-minute nominee, Conway Twitty

cti0323 t1_iy2gt7p wrote

Holy shit Blink finally got nominated.