Submitted by AlarmingLecture0 t3_z06xrn in Music

Imagine you’re doing a 64 bracket NCAA-style tournament pitting the all-time best rock bands against each other. Obviously it would include heavy hitters like the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Pink Floyd, U2, REM, the Clash, Radiohead, Nirvana, Run DMC, Wu Tang Clan, etc. Think big bands that had huge sales, a big fan base, that kind of thing. Bands that are "IMPORTANT". Hall of Famers

Obviously that tends to favor bands that have been around for awhile, or who had short careers but pioneered (or were emblematic of) something that has become widely respected.

But what “contemporary” (i.e., from the last couple of decades) bands should make the list? Arcade Fire? Muse? LCD Soundsystem? BTS? One Direction?

(I haven't really been thinking about solo artists, but if you want to throw those in by all means do)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Jackattack736 t1_ix4mj5r wrote

I would nominate Radiohead on a technicality. They're generally thought of as a 90s band, but 2 of their biggest records came out in the 2000s (Kid A in 2000 and In Rainbows in 2007).

From the more obvious picks, I'd nominate The Strokes, Paramore, Florence + The Machine, Portugal. The Man, Coheed and Cambria and The War on Drugs

Ok-Impress-2222 t1_ix51zp2 wrote

Queens of the Stone Age, Coldplay, Linkin Park, The White Stripes, Muse, etc.

Paragon8384 t1_ix440ec wrote

These bands are a mix of rock & metal and are chosen based more on personal opinion, but they're successful enough to be mentioned:

Haken

Leprous

Between the Buried and Me

Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson

Gojira

Dream Theater

AlarmingLecture0 OP t1_ix8spu3 wrote

Interesting. I think I've heard of one of these bands (Dream Theater). Not sure they'd make a "top 64 of all time" list by most standards (unless a prog rock list), but always nice to expand my knowledge!

Kvothetheraven603 t1_ix4q9dd wrote

The Killers

AlarmingLecture0 OP t1_ix8svhq wrote

Interesting. They've certainly had lots of success. Maybe Maroon 5, too?

Kvothetheraven603 t1_ix8uerp wrote

I would say so. Maroon 5, while not my cup of tea (outside of their first album), have been one of the bigger groups in the last 20 years or so.

JokerWolf182 t1_ix3uf1u wrote

Depends. Is the criteria based on personal opinion or commercial success?

AlarmingLecture0 OP t1_ix3x3mg wrote

>Think big bands that had huge sales, a big fan base, that kind of thing. Bands that are "IMPORTANT". Hall of Famers

This is more or less what I'm thinking. Not necessarily personal opinion (though that will obviously play a role), but not purely commercial success either.

I can imagine some bands being very successful but not all time hall of famers (New Kids on the Block), and I can imagine all time hall of famers that didn't have massive commercial success (though obviously they would probably have had a good deal of success, or nobody would have heard of them - Sex Pistols?).

JokerWolf182 t1_ix3yevg wrote

In that case I'd throw My Chemical Romance in the ring. Not one of my personal favourites but they were a juggernaut in the mid to late 00s.

NawBroSpaceMarine t1_ix41upp wrote

Queens of the Stone Age, Linkin Park, System of a Down, My Chemical Romance

SnooMaps3574 t1_ix4dxs6 wrote

Ween, My Morning Jacket, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, and The Black Keys