Submitted by Effective-Patience67 t3_10jr2rd in Music

I am a waiter and recently I also started working in a bar. We are allowed to play our own music and I want to make a playlist as we play the same 4 playlists 365 days a year and they are quiet similar to other rock/alternative oriented bars in our town.

I would like to make an upbeat oriented playlist for when we still serve food and a faster one for afterwards. With more dance and party vibes

I don't wanna change the music style that we play I just want to avoid playing the same songs that you hear almost everywhere and all the time (Should I stay or should I go, Hold the line, Magic Carpet ride, are you gonna be my girl, Mr blue sky, all along the watchtower, don't stop me now and 90% of all pop punk or early 2000 alternative rock songs...)

Any recommendations or songs that you would like to hear in an alternative oriented bar

Edit: I don't wanna shift genre or whatever. I just want to avoid every or most songs that where ever on amy greatest hits CD. For example I would totally play Nirvana just not "Come as you are" or "smells like teen spirits" those songs are great but way to overplayed. Also customer feedback is no problem.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Fish-Weekly t1_j5m589d wrote

I would start by taking the existing playlists and mixing in some new, somewhat less familiar songs and see what type of reaction you get. Then based on that, rinse and repeat until you’ve got a mostly updated playlist.

Effective-Patience67 OP t1_j5m7w02 wrote

Thats what I did till now. Kind off. I just started a song radio with songs I thought are underplayed but the Algorithmen gives you the same ol' songs after 2-3 songs.

Everyone really enjoys it. I guess people are also sick of hearing a "Greatest Hits Compilation" in every bar everyday (that's oriented in that direction). I mean I also don't play something completely new. Most songs are from the same bands or in the same genre and also better know, they are just not the first 3 songs that are recommended by Spotify or in the Spotify Top Rock Anthem playlist

N0N0TA1 t1_j5m3t64 wrote

If you're going to play music nobody knows at a place known to play music everybody knows it better be good.

Like right away. Like people should be responding positively nodding to the beat within the first few seconds.

For people familiar with the type of music you listed they usually play I've found most people respond pretty positively to The Heavy.

Effective-Patience67 OP t1_j5m5q6p wrote

I mean I don't wanna play something completely new just not the mainstream music and I am quiet positiv that people would enjoy that as well.

I already have some songs from The Heavy as they are pretty much a staple but I also try to avoid them as they have some of the most played songs as well (What makes a good man, how you like me now, same ol')

ForgotTheBogusName t1_j5m8068 wrote

Im currently enjoying Yard Act. Punk with a pop vibe. Very good.

udder112 t1_j5orbbf wrote

Red right hand nick cave