Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

octaviusmirranda t1_jdm08ib wrote

Reply to comment by srddave in Upper Clinton hill by [deleted]

I figured the vast majority living in those areas are good people just trying to get by, and most of the crime is probably dumb teenagers or people in their early twenties. I’ve never had a problem in inner cities but have never lived in one

srddave t1_jdm1a9i wrote

If you are from the burbs, living in an inner city, you are gonna have to get used to some stuff—like people being loud at all hours, and in Newark and Paterson, lots of trash on the street (but some blocks are worse than others). You may have a few junkies and some working girls in your hood too. And in some areas there are abandominiums which will draw junkies and prostitutes. That can be annoying and bring other petty crime. Look at the other houses and the other people living on the block. Stay away from blocks with more than one abandoned and burnt out property. If you find a place you like, visit the hood and walk around a bit during some morning and get the vibe. Also drive through at night and make sure the dealers aren’t on your corner. Other than that you will probably meet some of the best people you have ever known, truthfully.

octaviusmirranda t1_jdm232s wrote

I appreciate the advice. I think there are some drawbacks but it could be an awesome experience.