Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lifth3avy84 t1_jedzfhp wrote

It’s not fearlessness, it’s desperation and exploitation

Gerrut_batsbak t1_jee5lv9 wrote

fearless extremely desperate for food money.

Calm_Excitement_69 t1_jee70df wrote

Right? "Isn't it cool how they used be so brazen in their exploitation of the hungry and desperate"

Op I get where you are coming from, it's certainly impressive but....... I think the real meaning was missed.

Ormetkruper t1_jedqq7z wrote

Alot of people died tho. It is interesting with risk theory. The safer you are, the more risks you take and vice versa. If you drive a shitty small car without airbags and old tires, you won't overtake on a snowy highway. I guess these guys had to be alot more cautious without a harness than people are nowadays with one. Not alot of room for error...

SoylentGrunt t1_jedrs2e wrote

A lot of people still die. OSHA is gutted right now. The government is letting the big boys get away with things they normally wouldn't thanks to regulatory capture.

Iron workers got, and still get, a pass on a lot of OSHA regs because the steel erection companies were instrumental in writing OSHA rules and didn't want their crews slowed down with safety equipment.

Workplace safety today is not about saving lives. It's about saving money by avoiding wrongful death lawsuits from surviving family members of killed employees and OSHA fines should OSHA decide to actually do their job that day.

ELFanatic t1_jedysty wrote

Lots of ppl died back then. Both of them may have fallen soon after. We're looking at a 5 sec clip. There's a lot of 5 sec clips in any persons life.

LowerBed5334 t1_jefp9qr wrote

I'm just getting over ligament damage in my foot from twisting my ankle, while taking out the garbage.

I also had just returned from a snowshoe tour in the Alps two days before my stupid accident.

So, yeah 🤷😅

wc10888 t1_jef9phv wrote

When a few (or many) deaths a year were normal. See info on dam amd bridge construction back then

Ponk2k t1_jedyzqm wrote

That's the maddest shit.

I genuinely don't think you could pay me enough to do it.

FawksyBoxes t1_jef3zpv wrote

That was the great depression, it was do that or be homeless

Matchanu t1_jeeo1q5 wrote

I like someone’s comment the last time this was posted, “Back then they would’ve just died like real men!”